Shapes moving on their own: is this a bug or my own mistake?

Sep 08, 2015

Hi.

I'm having an issue with Storyline 2. I've created a menu using rectangles. Once the rectangles animate in, they sometimes snap into a different position to where they should be. I've tried to pinpoint the issue but haven't been able to. This problem is on scene 6 of the attached file. One more problem: the buttons I'm using to navigate my story look perfectly fine when I'm editing my slides, but the icons don't look properly aligned when shown in preview mode. Any help with either of these issues would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance,

James

11 Replies
James Tepper

Hi Christie and Richard,

Apologies for the duplicate threads and the large file size. I will attach the particular slides which have been causing problems here. 

The slides with the issue of the moving rectangles are 6.2, 6.3 layer 2 and 6.6. The alignment issue appears on all of the black and grey buttons at the bottom of each slide.

Thank you very much for your help,

James

James Tepper

Hi Christie and Richard,

Thank you for the help, but unfortunately the problem's persisting for me. It appears that the problem with the menu rectangles only appears when the cursor is placed over where the rectangles animate into. Once the shape animates in behind the cursor, and the cursor is moved afterwards, the shape snaps into the new position. I'm sorry if my description of the issue is hard to follow- but I don't know how else I can describe such an odd problem!

Once again, thank you

James

Richard Karel

Got it James--here's the issue--the shape is changing its position based on where the mouse cursor hovers over the entering rectangle shape.  So, if the mouse cursor touches the entering shape at 300 pixels in, the rectangle will move to that position after mouse is hovered (yes--moves and not changes width). I created a new SL file with same arrangement and it does the same behavior.  This has to do with triggers associated with rectangles and "hard" state.  "Restore on mouse leave" check box is checked in triggers so it is trying to find the state upon hover.

But this is easily corrected by removing the trigger re: hover and just creating a hover state for rectangle using the default "Hover" state in the "Add" states drop-down.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.