Slider Interaction Not Working in Mobile - Storyline 360

Jul 06, 2022

Hi Group

I'm seeing something that I'm hoping others have seen and may have a explanation for.

I've put together a quick prototype that has 3 slider objects that calculate a value that then dynamically sets a dial object's value. A working model is here: http://cooeeproductions.com/headcase2/content/maximiseeffectivenesssliders/story.html

The web publish works as expected on  my desktop computer (Chrome browser), but the bottom 2 sliders don't respond at all (i.e., can't be dragged) when I view the same URL on my Android phone or Android tablet.

I've tried removing the text labels and making one of the bottom 2 slider buttons 75% bigger but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Does anyone have an explanation - or better yet, a resolution - for that?

Does it behave similarly for anyone else out there?

Thanks for any input that you can provide.

PeteB 

7 Replies
Pete Brown

Thanks, Jürgen.

It's good (I think?!) that it's behaving similarly on Apple, too.

As I responded in my reply to @Michael, I'll systematically take things off the slide and see if it magically starts working.

I'll post anything I find back here in case someone encounters the issue in the future.

Thanks again.

Jürgen Schoenemeyer

I have made a simple test if with 3 sliders on the page
 - without text -> no problems
 - text above the 3 slider -> no problem !!!

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/d350d2ba-3a75-4ee0-844a-1933c602dddb/review

but now an interesting detail: on mobile the behaviour of the silder is different from desktop

desktop: "Update while silder is dragging", "Update when learner releases" are differnt (ok)
mobile: there is no difference for the 2 parameter -> it's always "while silder is dragging"

Jürgen

Pete Brown

Mmmmm. Interesting.

I tested your example (@Jürgen's example) in Review on an Android tablet, and all 3 sliders work properly, respecting the While Dragging or on Learner Released property.

So it looks like the behaviour you're seeing may be Apple specific.

And I don't think that it's affecting the problem that I originally raised, but it's worth noting that the While Dragging / On Released properties can't be trusted across different form factors!

I take 2 things from this:

1. Don't look too closely or you'll find problems, and
  2. It might be safer to build things like this in Construct 3!
Pete Brown

OK, I got to the bottom of the problem (or at least it seems to be working now)...

Removing all of the labels etc made no difference and the mobile version's sliders 2 and 3 wouldn't work.

In the end, I deleted and replaced sliders 2 & 3 from scratch. These worked fine. It seems that copying and pasting an existing slider caused the problem. Really odd that it worked fine in desktop.

And in response to Jürgen's find about iOS sliders updating on drag rather than release, I rejigged the calculation to happen on drag (to hopefully work on the widest range of devices) but after a 1-second delay as quick drags caused a problem. 

Thanks again to Michael and Jürgen for their insights.