Some issue with "Jump to time" and "Pause timeline" in storyline 360.

Jun 07, 2022

Please see attached the story file .. have been trying to make a slide such that on click of some buttons on the stage the content plays a corresponding part of the slide and pauses. 

tried using the following triggers.

1. jump to time <<time in seconds >> on this slide when user clicks <rectangle instance>
  2. pause timeline on this slide when the timeline reaches time <<time in seconds>>

to achieve this.

However for some reason this functionality doesn't work.
My actual slide had audio in it initially I felt that the audio was causing the issue however after extensive troubleshooting I figured that the "jump to time " code starts misbehaving as soon as i add the "pause timeline" code in it.  Can someone point to me if I am doing something wrong here? 

if we remove the pause timeline triggers and the jump to time triggers work fine.. however now the content plays till the end.

5 Replies
Jose Tansengco

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your project file with us. I took a look at your triggers and saw that you have multiple 'Pause timeline' triggers, but no trigger to resume the timeline. Designing your slide this way will permanently pause the timeline with no option to resume it. 

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to achieve on the slide, but if you need to resume your timeline, please consider adding 'Resume timeline' triggers.

Softway Developer

Hi Joe,
Thanks for the quick response.
To answer your question : the object triggers on "Rectangle 1" to "Rectangle 5" were supposed to make the timeline play from a certain point. and pause before the corresponding content for the next rectangle. 

for eg.:

• if I clicked on rectangle 1 , it should have played the timeline from 16th  second and pause at 21.9 seconds.
  • clicking on Rectangle 2 was supposed to play the timeline from the 22nd second on the timeline and pause at 30.9 seconds ; and so on.

my actual slide has corresponding audio and content playing for each of the rectangles being clicked. 

if you removed all the pause triggers. and clicked on any of the 5 blue rectangles .. it would play the timeline from the corresponding cue point .. but then not pause before the content corresponding to the next rectangle.

my initial code was meant to play the whole slide and then let the user click on the rectangles to revisit their(the rectangle's) corresponding content. 

Mateusz Szuter

Hi, I have similiar problem.

When you pause more than once on a slide (whatever if cue point or specific time), then when you tries to jump to some other time/cue on the slide/layer, it jumps to the first pause instead of desired time/cue point.

For example I have two cue points #1 - 2s and #2 - 25s.
I make pause on cue point #1, resume the timeline with some button. And then I make second pause on cue #2. And now - if I just resume the timeline with the button, everything is ok. When I assign "jump to time/cue point #2 & resume timeline" to button, it will jump to cue #1 instead of cue #2. Also, it will ignore any changes to object states. For example, I will have "Do something when the state of A is selected". Then, I will reset the state of A back to normal. The repeated timeline (from jump to time/cue) will treat A still as it is Selected, thus my other trigger will fire, even if A is no more selected because I resetted it.

Jumping around with this trigger is great for making for example better exit animations, but now it is broken. It will always jump to cue #1. I had this problem in my two different projects. 

Eric Santos

Hi Mateusz!

Thanks for reaching out; I appreciate you providing the details of the issue!

It would help to see the triggers in the slide and how they connect. Can you share your Storyline file with us so we can look more closely at what you have set up and better visualize the results by previewing the slides? You may also share it privately by sending it along in a support case. We'll delete it when we're done testing!