States Question

Mar 07, 2014

I'm working on a dual language course.  The language is swapped using states.  I also need to include some popup definitions, which appear when certain words are moused over.  What I'm trying to do is add a mouseover/popup to the alternate language state on the slide.  I highlight the necessary word, then click "Insert Hyperlink" and tried to tell it to Show Layer for the alternate language.  However, the only options I'm offered are either "Create New Layer" or "Unassigned", and I can't seem to figure out a way to edit either of those things so the popup will be picked up.  I feel there's probably something obvious I'm missing - can anyone help me out?  I've uploaded a short sample of my project, as I'm sure my explanation was not the best.  Is what I'm trying to do just not possible?

6 Replies
Rebecca Fleisch Cordeiro

Hi Leigh,

Welcome to the community!

I took a look at your file. Everything looks okay on slide 1.3

Slide 1.4 looks like a duplicate. I saw a trigger there that wasn't working, so I deleted it. I  redid the Pupae and Frass triggers, as you had them on the previous slide, and just for testing purposes added another trigger to define the word chew. It's linked to the Untitled layer 2.

It all seemed to work fine by

1. Selecting the word
  2. Right-clicking and choosing hyperlink from the shortcut menu
    or Selecting Insert from the ribbon and then Hyperlink from the Text group
  3. Then doing as I'm sure you'd done on the previous slide when the Trigger Wizard dialog box appeared: showing the appropriate layer when the mouse is hovered over the word.

Not sure why it wasn't working for you. Perhaps you can try again?

Leigh Dragoon

Hey Guys,

Thank you so much for your help - the problem I'm having is that the English mouseover definitions appear, but the SPANISH ones on the separate state layer don't, even though I create them just the same as I create the ones on the English state.  I'm wondering if I'm just butting up against a limitation in the software, or if I'm actually making a mistake in how I'm trying to create these.

Deanna Brigman

I downloaded and worked on your file and I was encountering the same issue, not being able to link to a layer from the second state. I was unable to figure out a way to make it work with the way you have it set up. I think it does come down to a software limitation, being that you cannot add a link on different state of an object.

I would suggest that you make two separate objects, an english one and a spanish one, and set their initial states to hidden. Then use triggers to change the English or Spanish state to normal.

Rebecca Fleisch Cordeiro

H Leigh,

Geesh...Deanna you were right. I didn't even read your answer after you said, "software limitation" but came up with the same solution! Then I went back and read your entire answer, and saw that you'd nailed it. Good going!

Leigh...sorry! Totally didn't get what you were having difficulty with. OK..it can be done, but not the way you were doing it. I don't believe you can access a layer from a state...at least that's what I encountered when I checked out the Spanish state for text box 1 on the Worms slide.

Instead, I created a Text Box 2 and pasted the Spanish text in there. It's at the same location on the timeline. I added the "show layer" triggers onto that text box, and set its initial state to Hidden.

I changed the triggers so now there are 2:

• Change the state of Text Box 1 to hidden when the timeline starts if language = Spanish.
  • Change the state of Text Box 2 to normal when the timeline starts if language = Spanish

On the Caption layers, I added triggers to change the Captions to Spanish when the timeline starts if language = Spanish

I left the 2nd Worms slide (labeled it Worms 2) as is...didn't make any changes to it.

I think it's doing what you're after. Please shout out with any questions.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.