Storyline 1 and the ending of Flash in December 2020

Nov 21, 2019

Hello,

I haven't been here in quite some time. Yes, you read the title correctly we still have Storyline 1. We have not built any new courses in several years so there has been no need to upgrade. But now with all the warnings from Adobe and Chrome that they will no longer support Flash starting in a year. I figured it was time to investigate what we need to get done in the next 12 months. I have searched the discussions and couldn't find anything related to Storyline 1. Or maybe I missed the discussion threads. So I am turning to you, the community, to point me in the right direction. I am the only person at our company that works in Storyline so I am sure no one else in my group realizes the issues we might have in 12 months. So I want to gather as much information as possible before I present this to the group. So if you can provide me with any insight or discussions that already exist it will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Sean

5 Replies
Phil Mayor

You will likely get a different answer from Articulate. In my humble opinion both Storyline 1 and 2 are very outdated, and the html5 produced by these is supported in very few browsers,

I would suggest upgrading to Storyline 3 or 360 and republishing all the content, there will be some rework required as I suspect text and images will move on conversion.

Storyline 1 will not publish without flash files, and a lot of companies will not allow you upload flash files anymore. 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Sean,

In addition to what Phil and Randy shared, I wanted to point you to our current Support policy, as we support the current and last perpetual versions - Storyline 3 and Storyline 2. 

You'll also find the list of supported browsers for Storyline 1 content in the system requirements here, and although there is support for the HTML5 output in Chrome and Safari it wouldn't include the latest updates of each (Chrome 79 and Safari 13) which most folks have likely updated to by now. 

If you'd like to discuss upgrade options our Sales team is standing by to answer anything you need! 

Finally, our team is keeping this discussion updated as we release fixes and features in our latest tools to support a Flash-free future. 

Sean Brennan

Phil, Randy and Ashley thank you for all the helpful information. One quick question. I saw in a few discussions about the export options in Storyline 360 that there is a HTML5/Flash option. Is that also in the Storyline 3 version? I am leaning towards Storyline 3 since the upgrade is cheaper and we don't develop course very often so the subscription based 360 would be too expensive and not viable for us. We sell most of our training to energy utility customers so some of them my still use Internet Explorer or other older browsers that don't support HTML5. So I would still like to export courses in HTML5 but fallback on Flash if their browsers don't support it.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Sean,

Yup - both Storyline 3 and Storyline 360 have the options to publish with HTML5/Flash Fallback or HTML5 only. If you're looking at upgrading to Storyline 3 our Sales team can talk you through it! 

For the folks on an older browser, you'll still want to check that they're using a supported version here. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.