Storyline 1 translation import - spelling change?

Jul 16, 2015

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has experienced inconsistencies with the translation import feature of Storyline 1. It seems that every time I import say, a French translation of an English version export, I get inconsistent errors.

For instance upon reimporting, it changed  a word our French translators had in the translation document numerous times as “responsable” to the American “responsible” somewhere during the importing process. There was also a change where it altered their “pu” to the American “up”. 

What makes it tougher is that often when I repeat the same process again, I get different results. In the French instance above, the second time I did it, it did not change the "responsible" word but incorrectly changed "pu" again.

Has anyone else experienced this? It almost seems like a spellcheck thing? Any workarounds or tips?




4 Replies
Christie Pollick

Hi, Tim -- What you are describing does sound peculiar. There are a few things we can try first to rule out the causes of some odd behavior. Please make sure you are working locally as described here, and you may want to try importing the file into a new file. If you are still having issues, you might want to try to repair Storyline. 

If issues persist, please feel free to share your file here, and we can take a closer look for you. 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Tim,

I checked in with Allison, who is our French Community Manager (thought she may have some expertise here!) and she said it's happened to be her before too - so she just uncheck's the autocorrect option, so that it stops auto correcting french texts into similar English words. She mentioned she just leaves it permanently disabled because she switches back and forth so often. Auto correct is an option detailed here. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.