Storyline 360: Calculate results for Selected results slides not working as expected

May 23, 2018

For reporting purposes, one SCO needs to cater to two cohorts. Each cohort will have it's own content and it's own quiz.

I was trying to achieve the above in the attached prototype .story file.

The file has:

1. two quizzes each with it's own Results slide, and
  2. one Result slide configured to "Calculate results for: Selected results slide" with the passing score set to 49% to represent that the student only has to pass one of two quizzes to pass the sCO - see screenshot below.

Results slide setting

The SCO's Tracking has been configured to "Track using quiz result" based on the Result in Point 2 above - see screenshot below.

Tracking configuration screenshot

When I launch and complete the SCO, the final Result slide does detect that I have passed - see screenshot below.

SCO result slide screenshot.

However, when I close the SCO, it records that "Completion: incomplete" and "Success: unknown" - see screenshot below.

Detailed SCORM report from SCORM Cloud.

I was expecting "Completing: complete" and "Success: passed".

Is this a bug with SL360 or do I misunderstand how "Calculate results for: Selected results slide" works?

Best regards
Alfred Low

13 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Alfred, 

Thanks so much for that detailed write-up. Your set-up looks great and should work correctly, but we're seeing some buggy behavior in Storyline that's preventing this kind of branching quiz to communicate completion and success status to the LMS. 

Our team is looking into a fix, but until then, there is something you can do to work around it. 

1. Adjust the final results slide to track the actual quiz questions instead of the results slides. 

-OR-
  2. Adjust the triggers so that the learner visits both results slides (even if for a brief second). 

Let me know if you have any questions about those workarounds, and I'll keep you posted on news of a fix!

Kirk Swientoniowski

I am having a related issue, where we have multiple quizzes with individual results slides requiring an 80% passing score.

But the combined results slide uses "selected results slides" where I indicate a passing score of 0% (per the client whose LMS sets passing score externally). 

This results slide is the one being used to mark completion. So even though I've set the passing score to 0%, my client reports that their LMS is not marking complete unless there is an 80% across all of the quizzes.

Does the requirement of 80% on the individual result slides affect the combined results slide?

Crystal Horn

Hi Kirk.  We're looking at an issue with using a final results slide to calculate scores based on other results slides.  Can you confirm a few things for me?

• What version of Storyline are you using?  Go to Help > About Storyline.  
  • Do the learners visit all of the quizzes and all of their related results slides?
  • Does the LMS receive a final score?  Does it record any completion (completed/incomplete) or success (pass/fail) status?

If you'd like to attach your .story file so I can see the setup, feel free to attach it in this discussion.  I'll let you know what I think!

Suzann Lafferty

I have created a ten question quiz with a results slide (used from a template). I am also having the same issues with reporting to the LMS. During publish, I am selecting the option to use the results slide for reporting and tracking. If the user passes the course and completes all slide, the LMS is showing in progress with no quiz score listed. I recently published a different course and the quiz is reporting properly to the LMS. The quiz settings are the same in both instances and I am using Adobe Connect as an LMS. Any suggestions? 

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Suzann,

Thanks for popping back in with an update. 

The issue that we have related to this thread is:

Completion and success status not recorded if final result slide is tracking other result slides

It sounds like you may be running into the same issue since you mentioned a 'final results slide'. Is this slide for 'Selected results slides'?

If this is the issue you're seeing, you are certainly in the right place for updates.

Alyssa Gomez

Good news, folks!

We just released Update 20 for Storyline 360–click here to read all about it!

One of the fixes addresses the issue where the completion and success status were not recorded if the final result slide was tracking other result slides. 

Here’s how you can update Storyline 360 to take advantage of everything the latest release has to offer. 😁

Jeffrey Riley

From what I can tell, this still does not work. I have a course in two languages but can only have one passing score.

I am on version 3.33.20697.0 and my result slide that is based on two other results slide keeps saying I only have 50% 150 points and passing is 80% 240 points that is double one score. 

Why does the final result slide require me to have double score? I need the person to pass and have 100% score no matter which quiz they take.

Leslie McKerchie

It sounds like you are running into a different issue, but what you are describing is expected behavior, Jeffrey.

One result slide is being sent to an LMS for tracking and you have two other results slides tied to it to determine these results. The two you have selected are both included. It's an 'and' selection and not an 'or'.

If you only need the learner to complete one of the two quizzes, this is a custom design set-up and someone in the community will be able to chime in and help you with this.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.