Storyline 360: Cannot Limit the Quiz Attempts properly

Nov 10, 2017

Hello all,

I know it is not new, but it took me a long time still without any idea why it didn't work out. I referred to this article: 

Storyline 360: Limiting Quiz Attempts

I followed each step but cannot get it work at all (the Retry button still work after the setup). I would like the users to only have one attempt to hit "Retry" button on the result slide, in a word,  one attempt on each question each time, and if the first time failed, hit "retry" button only one more time to retake the quiz, so two chances to take the quiz in total.

I don't know what the trick is. Here is my Result slide Properties.

And, here is basically each question's slide Properties.

Anything wrong? I followed the article step by step and tried many times, but all did not work out.

Thank you very much!

Phoebe

16 Replies
Phoebe Lu

Hello Wendy,

Thank you for your quick response.

For each question slide, I originally tried both "automatically decide" or "reset to initial" instead of "Resume saved state", but strange things happened, the result showed 0 score  even though I hit a few correct answers. I don't know why it was like that, it only happened to this project. Very strange. So, I changed to "Resume saved state" for each question slide, then the result slide actually tracked the score. Very strange!

Yes, I set up "attempt" variable trigger on the "retry" button, exactly follow each step in the suggested article, but did not work out at all after many trials. "Retry" button still functioned again and again.

Thanks

Wendy Farmer
Phoebe Lu

changed to "Resume saved state" for each question slide, then the result slide actually tracked the score. Very strange!

If this option is selected, the user wouldn't be able to make a selection on the quiz slide as the original answer would still be 'selected'.

Perhaps the variable trigger is not in the correct order - can you share the story file - might be easier if we can see the setup and to try and help you solve it.

Tabatha Willis

I am hoping someone can assist me. I am having the same issue. I have attached my .story file. I have tried the instructions using the variables in the thread provided and so much more. Basically, The passing score is 100%, however the learner would have 2 attempts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shona Tinkler

I am having the same issue - can you help me? I can't share the file due to confidentality but here is a screen shot of the triggers.  The retry button is not disabled no matter how many times the quiz is attempted. I have the submit button on the final question (rather than for each question) as I want the allow the user to go back and change their answers before submitting. Is this why it won't work? Thanks

John Say

Hi Shona! You should move the "Add value 1 to Attempts when the user clicks Retry button" trigger up a couple of notches so it's the first trigger listed for the Retry Quiz button.  On the Triggers panel, select that trigger and then click on the up arrow on the Triggers panel to move it up before the two other triggers. 

Shamina Dhakni

Hi There. I'm having a similar issue. Can you let me know what I am doing wrong? I cannot even see the triggers even though I believe they are there. I want to allow 3 attempts. I also want to add a "exit course" button if they pass and when they are no longer able to take any more attempts. I also wanted to add a "review training" button so they can review the whole training again without having to take the quiz/mess with the results. TY!

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Shamina, and welcome to E-Learning Heroes! ✨

Thank you for sharing your .story file! 

I noticed you had a variable called attempts, but the default value was 3. I changed it to 1 and adjusted the following triggers on your results slide:

• On Button 2 (Retry Quiz), Add value 1 to attempts when the user clicks the button.
  • On Button 2, Exit course when the user clicks the button if attempts > 3
  • I also created a state for Button 2 called exit, so after the third attempt, the Retry Quiz button would say Exit Course.
  • On your success layer, I hid the two buttons from the base layer.

Let me know if this works!