Storyline 360 - Closed Captions appearing in different positions

May 20, 2021

Hi everyone, 

I ran into an issue with closed captioning. I created a web based training for a customer in storyline 360. The training has a custom-build frame including a progress bar at the bottom of the page. Unfortunately, the closed captions are positioned directly where the progress bar is located, thus covering it. Unfortunate, but I was able to explain to the customer, that there is no way for me to influence where the closed captions appear. Since the frame was agreed on long before closed captions became a thing, and the customer already implemented many trainings using the exact same frame, we left it at that.

Here comes the issue: first version of the training was created in german. When I translated the course to english the closed captions appeared in a different position, now above the progress bar, not covering it anymore. The frame remains unchanged, so does the format of the training. Nothing was changed bar the audios. It is now very hard for me to explain to the customer why I can't make the captions appear in the german version, where they are in the english version. And frankly, it is very hard for me to understand that, too.

I tried everything: I added new audios to the german version, in such a way that there were two identical audios on a slide. When they are both on the slide, one audio appears on top of the other. But when I delete the bottom one, the top one slides back into the unfotunate place, covering the progress bar. I tried just "hiding" the bottom audio, same effect. I even tried adding a trigger to stop the bottom audio when the timeline starts (which would have been a horrible solution, but eh.) - no effect.

So, articulate community, is there anything I can do, bar accepting that my customer thinks I am stupid? A java script? A magic trick? Anything?

Desperate regards

Alex

1 Reply
Becca Levan

Hello Alex, and welcome to E-Learning Heroes! ⭐️

I'm so sorry that you're facing this, and I want to help! From here, I'd like our Support Engineers to take a look at your project to provide insight. They are experts, and if there's a magic trick, they will know it!

You should've just received an email confirming that I've submitted a case on your behalf, so you'll hear from our team shortly!