Storyline 360 crashes when preview and publish

Mar 14, 2023

Hi!

I've encountered the same problem as this post. Storyline crashes when running a preview or a publish. 

But in my case, hopefully, I've figured out what's the reason causing the program failure since there was one scene (scene 1) that didn't crash when preview. It turns out it's a shape, in which I've added some triggers & states to it so it could work as a button.

I've attached the ".story" file. The mentioned shape is included in slides 1.2, 2.1, 3.1, 4.1. The weird thing is that the originally created shape (in slide 1.2) wouldn't cause any problem.  However, when I copy-and-paste that shape to other slides or even to a new project, it caused the crash on preview and publish, whether or not I made any edition to that copied-and-pasted shape.

I'll just remove the problematic shape and make a new button. But I'm still curious why this  would cause the problem. It is just a simple shape. And I may avoid the same problem in the future.

Thanks in advance! :)

Shirley

36 Replies
Customer Education Services

Hello! I submitted case 04054189 Friday and haven't heard back yet, but I can't preview or publish to Review at all without SL crashing. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I've tried copying slides to a new project. Nothing is working. A colleague of mine said she had this issue at a previous job and was told it was a processor issues. I didn't have any of these issues until I receive a new laptop a couple weeks ago. I'm totally out of the water as we use SL for nearly all of our on-demand learning development.

Thanks, Cathy

Steven Benassi

Hi Cathy!

So sorry to hear Storyline has been crashing, and that you're having trouble receiving e-mails from Articulate Support!

I took a look at your case, which is being handled by my colleague Dexter. It looks like Dexter replied to your e-mail on 01/13/24 with feedback on this issue. Is there a chance the e-mail could have been diverted to a SPAM/junk folder?

I've updated your case with the feedback you shared so Dexter can be notified of this hiccup. He should be reaching out to you again shortly!

Thank you for your patience, and I'm sorry if this has been slowing you down!

Mark Boehm

Hey there, I see the same preview-crashes since the update mid-december 23. Happened right in a customer presentation (bummer!) and ever since. Tried all advice: Old files, new files, reinstall, 64-bit version, complete removal and cleanup. Nothing works - SL still goes back to Desktop.
Checking all objects for corruption can't be the way to go here (I got 124 Slides w. layers).
My last hope is to buy a new laptop today, because my deadline is in 6 days - ridiculous.
Please, we all really need to rely on rocksolid stability of SL360.
Are there any new ideas on how to solve the problem?

Don't get me wrong - ..I really love the software!
But stability is way more important than new features.

Alan Camerer

Just started using the newest update to Storyline on projects I completed last year (for revisions) and experiencing frequent crashes as above. Just thought I'd add my voice.

I did copy all slides to a new presentation as suggested and that seemed to work, but the crashes are reappearing in the new file as well - but only intermittently. Slides that crashed prior to a restart work upon restart, but some unknown change I'm making seems to make them crash again after a few previews. I'm mostly adding triggers and variables for new features requested by the client. 

I'll open a case as suggested and hopefully can get a sample uploaded soon.

Thanks for your work on this issue!

Regards,
Alan

Customer Education Services

Thanks for your response, Steven. I went back into my email (deleted/inbox/junk/spam) and couldn't find Dexter's response. With that said, I did finally discover what my issue was by coming across some obscure thread on another site. Our company identified Noto Sans as it's standard font last year, so we use that in our on-demand courses for the text elements. The thread I found indicated Noto Sans to be a potential problematic font in Storyline at one time. Supposedly it was fixed sometime in 2021, but I took a chance and swapped out all my Noto Sans font for Arial and have had no further issues! So...it must have been the combination of something to do with my new laptop and the Noto Sans font causing the perfect storm as I didn't have issues with using that font in SL until I got my new laptop.

CV Sankars

Hello I ran into the same problem today and I can't figure out why.

To me, it started happening just after I installed the Feb 6 3.84.31722.0 on my Windows 11 machine. Just before the installation, I opened up the same project file and previewed the slides comfortably.

Since the installation - the preview begins then turns to a black out screen and just completely closes. There is no "recovery" or anything upon re-opening.

I already un-installed and re-installed the 360 Desktop Apps, Removed all and then re-installed.

I also tried previewing perfectly working articulate projects and the same thing happened so I know it's not a corrupted file.

I also rolled back to the Dec installation 3.83.31444.0 but to no avail - as the same thing happened.

I tried using a different Articulate Login ( I have two distinct accounts with two companies) and the same thing happened.

I turned off my anti-virus software. The same thing happened.

I have the project file sitting locally in my documents so it is not on the cloud or somewhere else.

Can anyone try the file and tell me what they think is the problem? This is urgent and I am running behind on my project.

Eric Santos

Hello CV Sankars,

I'm sorry for the trouble previewing your Storyline project. It's a great idea to open a case as well; we've received it and will reach out to you shortly. Thanks for sharing the file, and I appreciate you for the extensive troubleshooting you've already done! I was able to preview the project without crashing.

Was able to preview without crashing

Please try running these steps to fix possible installation issues. We'll escalate your support case to our Customer Support Engineers as needed, so we'll continue the conversation there if the steps above don't work.

Steven Benassi

Hi Pauline!

Sorry to hear that Storyline has been crashing on you!

Thanks for sharing the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far. I've opened a support case on your behalf so our support engineers can take a closer look into this behavior. You're in excellent hands troubleshooting with them and they should be reaching out to you shortly!

We can continue the conversation through your case to keep all information in one spot.