Storyline 360 crashes on preview and publish

Oct 15, 2020

Storyline crashes when I try to publish or preview. This also happens when trying to preview a single screen.

After the crash, I would re-open the file and sometimes it would complete the preview/publish and sometimes it would crash again. Sometimes it would preview a few times without problems and then again suddenly crash. 

This has been happening since the latest update.

I've tried creating a clean file and importing all the slides into the clean version and previewing each slide as it is entered to find the problem, but the behaviour is too erratic for me to be able to find the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

20 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Dalene,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing what you are experiencing with your project file and the troubleshooting already completed.

I'm curious if the issue happens in a brand new course prior to importing any of these slides?

• If the problem is happening in a brand new file, you should conduct a repair of your software.

If you've narrowed it down to this single file, it sounds like you're already headed in the right direction to narrow down the issue. You mention that the behavior is too erratic when previewing individual slides.

1. Does this mean that you have multiple slides crashing?
  2. Do the slides use the same layout?
Dalene Goosen

Hi Leslie - thank you very much for your reply.

I tried the quick and easy route and repaired storyline - but that didn't work.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes - all the slides crash. And like I said before - the behaviour is erratic and can't be predicted (not by me anyway).  Sometimes the slides can preview and sometimes it doesn't. When I publish the entire project for review - it would crash a few times and finally go through.

2. The slides have the same layout now. As part of my troubleshooting, I harmonised the slides to all be based on a "blank" master slide. Only things set are font and colour scheme. However - the slides were crashing before I harmonised them all to the same layout, colour scheme and font.

I really hope you can help.

Stephen Lee

Hi, just curious if this was resolved with issue Dalene encountered. All Storyline users have similar issue at our company with Storyline crashing on Preview. Usually previewing once or twice will work, but consistently will crash on 2nd or 3rd attempt. Have tried importing slides into new project, re-installing Storyline, etc. Happens to multiple users with different projects. Appears to be an internal issue, as this doesn't seem to be an issue with other Storyline users outside of our company. Is it possible a firewall, virus software, etc.. could impact ability to Preview/Publish Storyline projects? Not sure where to go from here.

Thanks

Dalene Goosen

That would be because no solution was found. To this day I am still struggling with a crashing Storyline. 

One of the staff members were able to replicate my problem but since her supervisor had no problems with my storyline files nothing further was done - also from my side. 

The only thing that helps is to continuously empty the temporary Storyline folder - found here: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\Articulate\Storyline

Why Storyline can't do this automatically when previewing is beyond me. 

The other thing that helps is to preview the entire scene instead of just the slide. 

Hope that helps a bit.

Stephen Lee

I am currently working with Articulate support. They have recommended getting certain domains added to the allow list, and to also open a Port, so will see if our IT dept can complete this to see if resolves anything.

Dalene, thanks for the info. Interesting about emptying the Storyline temp folder. I do make it a habit to empty this occasionally as it can quickly fill up to a few GB in a short period of time. I thought an update a couple years ago was supposed to address this temp folder issue, but doesn't seem to have done anything.

This crashing does seem to occur with bigger projects. I will try deleting all temp files prior to previewing and see if the crashing continues or not.

Thanks! 

Kim Myers

I am also having issues with crashing -  and often. attached are examples of  the error when it crashes. It happened to me twice within 30 minutes. Typically I reboot and it will work for a day or so without the problem -  today the reboot didn't help - very frustrated and unable to turn my project around  because of constatnt crashes or issues with editing audio, etc. 

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Kim,

I just responded to a question regarding your audio here.

• I'm curious if the crashing issue happens in any course you are working on or just this particular one?
  • Do you know what version of Storyline you're using? We are currently on Build 3.59.26702.0 of Storyline 360. You can read all of the details here
    • You can check by going to Help > About Articulate Storyline
    • If you are already on the latest version, you may want to repair your software.

If you'd prefer to work directly with one of our support engineers, you can do so here.

Kim Myers

Hi – I just replied to your first email – but to answer your question – it is NOT just this course – it crashes at some point with ALL of the courses I develop –
I am a consultant – they like my work, but I am worried that the technical issues are putting a bad light on my performance –

HELP

Kim Myers
Consultant, Learning & Development
People & Culture
Government Employees Health Association
20201 E. Jackson Dr. Independence, MO 64507
Ph: 816 434-2516 | kim.myer@GEHA.com
[cid:image001.png@01D7F589.C227C570]

Becca Levan

Thanks for the additional details, Kim, and I'm so sorry for this trouble.

Per Leslie's recommendation, can you follow these steps to quickly repair Storyline and let us know if that improves things?

If a repair doesn't help, connect with us in a support case here so we can work with you 1:1 to resolve this quickly!

Also, your signature came through when you replied by email; you can remove that by clicking the Edit button in your response. Here's a demo.

Mike Andrews

It's been happening to me for a LONG time. Crashes many times a day in SL3 and I recently moved to SL360 and the exact same thing happens. Happens to other people I work with as well. I have sent in files to Articulate in the past and there is NO reasonable path to a fix. It's always the same thing, like what were you doing when it happens. The real way to fix this is to generate a debug dump log file like other modern pieces of software, but it appears that is not built into storyline. So I gave up trying to troubleshoot and just have to live with this happening many times per day on all lessons I work on, some created by others and some created by me.

Its funny because SL3 would crash when I was running Parallels on a Mac, but it happened way less frequently probably because Parallels manages the memory better and you set how much windows consumes. When I moved to a brand new Windows 10 machine last year, the problem got exponentially worse. I think the root problem is that SL3/360 has poor memory management and there are tons of memory leaks in it... But I have no choice. So I save about every minute I work. The auto save feature does not work either.

Lauren Connelly

Hi Mike!

I can imagine this has been so frustrating for you and I'm truly sorry about that! I'd like our Senior Support Engineers to work with you directly as they will understand, better than I can, what is causing the frequent crashing. I've opened a case on your behalf with their team. They'll follow up with you via email to share next steps. 

I see that you also reached out in May about the same issue so I've linked that conversation to the current support case for reference. You're in great hands with our Senior Support Engineers!

Jakob H.

I have noticed that in our case, for example, it is due to the Noto Sans font that project crashes particularly often. We have therefore changed the font to Roboto or Open Sans, where we have fewer problems. Other users have also reported similar problems...

https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/storyline-publish-keeps-crashing-when-using-google-noto-cjk-fonts

Maybe this will help this in some cases.

Eric Santos

Hi Stephanie,

I'm sorry you've hit this snag with Noto Sans font! I'm happy to help troubleshoot this issue and would like to start with clarifying questions to understand your experience better.

1. Are you experiencing the same behavior wherein Storyline crashes when using Noto Sans font?
  2. If so, does this happen during preview, publishing, or both?
  3. If you're comfortable sharing your affected Storyline file with us, we'd be happy to take a look to investigate further. You can upload it here or privately in a support case. We'll delete it when we're done testing.
  4. Kindly share the Noto Sans font files that you're using as well.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

Jose Tansengco

Hello Vivek, 

Sorry to hear that you ran into this issue. 

We are currently monitoring a bug that causes Storyline to crash when using Noto IKEA Japanese or Noto IKEA Korean (TrueType) fonts. As a troubleshooting step, can you try converting the font that you're using from TTF format into OTF format if applicable? Please let us know if this works for you so we can tag this post in the bug report and notify you as soon as it is fixed. 

Looking forward to hearing from you!

The Training Room Online

Hello Eric

I am experiencing the same challenges with Storyline just crashing. 

I also experience that it crashes when I preview, and add screen recording or audio.

I Have read about the fonts potentially being the cause, but in my case, I am using clean templates with no fonts and no content and when I preview it crashes.

Should I create a formal ticket so that you can assist me?