Storyline 360 - crashing

Jun 22, 2017

Is anyone else currently having issues with Storyline 360? My file keeps crashing every time I open it and start making changes. Right now I am unable to even work on it.

Issue

15 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Rebecca,

Oh no! I'm sorry Storyline isn't behaving right - but I can help! 

Have you gone through the repair steps for Storyline 360 and made sure you're using the latest update? 

Once you do those steps, let me know if you're seeing the same behavior. I'd want to know if it's just that file or any file in Storyline 360! 

gg person

I am having the same problem and it is 11 months later than all of these notices. Everything was fine until June 29th and then it started to crash. I started all over thinking there was some bug, but it still crashed. I opened a .story file I didn't create and it crashed. I don't have the option of downloaded any updates--that has to be completed by our IT group. I can't use 360 so I am going to have to fall back to Storyline 2.

Hi GG,

I'm really sorry you're stuck without being able to update, and I can only imagine how frustrating that is. The crashes mentioned here and in a few other discussions are typically resolved by narrowing down problematic behavior that could lead to corruption/crashing of your files or reinstalling to ensure it's a clean copy of Storyline.

Can you also check what build of Storyline 360 you're on? The latest is 3.17.16188.0. You can check by going to the "Help" Tab -> "About Articulate Storyline".

If you're still stuck, please reach out to our Support team. They're here to help and we never want you to keep suffering through a crash!

Hi Saad,

I'm glad the file is opening for your colleagues, as that points to an issue on the computer you're using and your file is not lost! Have you already attempted the steps mentioned above to:

• Install the latest update of Storyline 360 - Storyline 360, build 3.40.22208.0
  • Repair Storyline by reinstalling it 

If you've attempted those, and you're still running into trouble our Support Team will be the best equipped to help with next steps!  Once you connect with them by starting a support case they'll walk you through how to pull those diagnostic logs to get to the root! If you want to get a jumpstart on that process, follow the directions outlined in this article. 

Liz Perkins

Morning, 

i have been working on Storyline for the past 3 weeks and have the same problem with the system crashing and i loose the files completely and have to start all over again which is putting me off using Storyline in the future. It is such s shame that i am unable to complete a full training material without the fear of loosing all my hard work

Kindest regards

Elizabeth

Karen Alveston

I am having the same problem as Liz Perkins. I'm using the latest Storyline 360 version (v3.46.236.20.0) and my file is ~60MB. My course is 9 scenes, seven lessons, and I have speech to text on most screens, and three 1-minute videos. Average slides per lesson is 24. For some reason Storyline keeps crashing after about 30 - 40 minutes of work. I add a slide, or edit a slide, save, add a couple of simple click-to -learn interactions, save, stuff like that, and then my system crashes. I have tried my file on 2 different computers with the same results. I shut down all other applications that I can when running Storyline, but the crashing is killing me with all of the rework I have to do! If my file size is too large and the recommendation is to separate it into individual files, can you please direct me to the procedures for this task? Also, I have checked my story_content folder after publishing and it is about 18MB. Pease help!

Lauren Connelly

Hi Karen!

It looks like Liz worked in a support case with my teammate, Lianne! I'd recommend also connecting with a Support Engineer so that we can troubleshoot 1:1. 

If you're saving on your local drive but you still cannot find the projects you created, there may still be a working version of the projects in your temp files. Here's how to check:

1) Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline

2) Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop.

3) Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story.

4) Double-click the file to open it in Storyline.

Luciana Piazza

Hi Orv, 

Thanks so much for sharing some tips from your support case with my colleague Ronaziel in this thread!  This will be helpful for future community members that come across this post!

Glad to hear that everything is running smoothly on your end now. 🎉

Have a great start to your day and happy developing! 

Lisa DelCol

I am having this same issue. I have had our IT dept reinstall the app and check to make sure my computer has the capacity to run it. I have been saving a new version every day and I update the app whenever prompted. There is no rhyme or reason for the crashes. Please help - it's crashing every 20 min or so. Our corporate font is Avenir - could this be an issue?