Storyline 360: how do I greatly downsize the logo in the modern player?

Jul 15, 2019

For our company branding, we don't need the logo to display at the size it's set by default in the modern player. I downsized my logo only to see it stretched in the player. Is there any way to set the logo size to be much smaller?

9 Replies
Ned Whiteley

Hi Kris,

Even although you have downsized your logo, the Player will resize it to fit the available space. However, If you copy your logo onto a larger background and then save that as your new version of your logo, you will now be able to control the size. It may need a bit of fiddling to get it right, but it will work out in the end.

Here is a quick example, using a well known logo. I haven't done anything to match the background colour or make it transparent, so that you can see the difference in background size. Hopefully this will give you an idea of what can be achieved.

Vincent Scoma

Hey HMS,

Thank you for reaching out and letting us know! When viewing the menu player, is there an empty box appearing where your logo should be? You may need to delete your logo and re-insert for it to appear. 

I would also double-check to make sure that the Logo checkbox is marked, indicating that your logo will show when viewing the menu: 

Give that a try and let me know how that works out!

Lisa Spirko

Hi Ashley,

Please check out the attachment. The space in the modern player dedicated to a logo takes up 25% of the real estate. Good grief! Why would we ever want a logo that large? SL stretches smaller logos and make them look grainy to fill up the space. I could mock up the logo with a huge background to fill up that space, as described in the thread above, but there's still wasted space. I'd rather see the logo take up half that space and devote more real estate to the menu and actual content. I have created a feature request ticket related to this (02894234).

Updated: Ashley, what are the dimensions of this logo space in the player, in pixels, so I can fill up the background in the logo image file to prevent the stretching and graininess?

Updated again: Never mind ... I found the dimensions in the table on this page: https://community.articulate.com/series/articulate-storyline-360/articles/storyline-360-choosing-player-features

Thanks,

Lisa

Lisa Spirko

Hi Maria,

Unfortunately, the classic player won't work for us because we're trying to achieve compliance with WCAG accessibility standards. We requested our Marketing dept to supply us with a logo that is exactly 400 pixels wide -- the width that this article says is needed to avoid stretching--and instead, the logo is centered in the space.

Articulate needs to fix this logo sizing issue. This is a significant accessibility problem because, not only can it cause grainy logos, it takes up so much real estate in the sidebar, it forces learners to scroll the menu to see more than just the first eight slides or so in the list.

I submitted a feature request for this back in September, along with cases for the 50-odd accessibility issues I've discovered in the last five months or so. This one is case number 02894234. Every time I test something for accessibility, I find issues. I sure would like to see Articulate make an effort to resolve these issues. 

Thanks,

Lisa