Storyline 360 issues when importing from PPT

Mar 01, 2017

What is going on with importing from PPT into Storyline?

• Fonts are too large
  • Fonts have switched colors
  • Master slide layouts are lost;  images and text are rearranged and resized oddly

I have been working with Storyline for a while and never had a problem before. I did upgrade to 360. Is this a Content Library issue? I do have some new layouts. Everything is coming in as unknown layout.

16 Replies
Lara McKinnon

I have been testing all morning. Even tried importing into Storyline2 instead of 360. I spent a great deal of last year importing PPT's into Storyline. I receive a lot of my starting content in PPT and in the past have leveraged this to my advantage. What has changed? I have 360, I am using a wide format, and leveraged Content Library layouts from PPT. Inserted characters are stretched too. It isn't a few things-it is everything. Not one single slide from PPT looks good.

Alyssa Gomez

Yikes! Sorry you're dealing with this, Lara. Let's see if we can get this straightened out. 

What version of PowerPoint are you using? Since you're working with SL360, you'll want to be sure you're using PowerPoint 2010 or later (32-bit or 64-bit) and that both the PPT and SL360 file are saved locally. 

Would you be able to attach the PowerPoint file here, so I can try and import it into a new Storyline 360 file? Even just a few slides will do. Thanks!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Lara!

Some users try to save their files to network drives, which is fine as a backup version, but you wouldn't want to actually open and make edits to files saved there because that can cause issues, or worse yet, file corruption.

I'd agree with Phil that it's worth opening a support case about this. You can reach out to our Support Engineers right here. They'll test your file and help you get to the bottom of why this is happening. 

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Salomé and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

The last reply from Lara was quite a while ago. You are certainly welcome to reach out to the user directly via the 'Contact Me' option on the user profile if you do not hear back soon.

Otherwise, feel free to share the details of what is happening or what your question is and we'd be glad to help you out.

Rachel Crabtree

I have noticed that SL 360 has a tendency to act more erratically (e.g. crashing, corrupting, etc.) when slides from old PowerPoints are imported.  I think very carefully before clicking import these days. Also when I perform maintenance on SL 360 files - the problematic ones (e.g. sound being lost, freezing, etc.) usually end up being WBT files that were migrated from PowerPoint (usually Studio).

Katie Riggio

Hi Susan,

It looks like you got some great tips from Lara. Thanks, Lara!

I'm happy to jump in as well and look into the import process. A few initial areas to check:

• Is the PowerPoint slide size different from your Storyline slide size? For the best results, we recommend changing the slide size in Storyline to match the PowerPoint slide size before importing. 
  • Working on a shared drive can cause issues during import. Let's make sure that both files are saved on a local drive.

We can also troubleshoot in real-time. Since you have a Teams subscription, you have access to live chat with our Engineers:

• Connect With Us
    *You'll need to be signed in with your Teams Articulate ID

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.