Storyline 360 - Keyboard nav not working

Jul 18, 2023

I am building a course in Storyline 360 (v3.75.30269.0) and I want it to be WCAG AA compliant but I cannot get my keyboard to focus on all the objects in my slides.

I have hidden all default navigation controls and created a customised navigation ribbon which sits in a layer that is set to show when timeline begins on base layer.

When I try to navigate the screen using a keyboard I cannot access any of the base layer text boxes. The only object the keyboard will focus on is the Start course button.

I have tried re-ordering the base layer items in the Focus Order settings so they appear at the top of the list, before the items in the Navigation layer, but this doesn't change anything

- Why is this happening?
- Is it something to do with the navigation layer showing? 
- How do I fix?

Please help - many thanks,

Jess

1 Reply
Jose Tansengco

Hello Jess,

Happy to help!

Storyline 360 intentionally does not automatically read text when a layer is displayed as detailed in this post: 

Tabbing through a Storyline 360 course will now only read interactive objects. To get to non-interactive objects, readers will need to use the 'up' and 'down' arrow keys to cycle through the elements. 

For additional tips on how to design accessible courses in Storyline 360, you can check out this article: 

Let me know if you have any questions!