Storyline 360 - Login/Access issue - OKTA VPN

Feb 26, 2020

Hi,

I am frequently experiencing issues with Storyline 360 whereby I go to login using my articulate credentials and the login screen is blank with no email or password fields visible (I have attached example)?

I also experience problems when I work remotely from home. When working outside of our business LAN we have to use OKTA verify as a VPN once we have got through safeboot. I have found that Storyline wont let me log in when I have enabled VPN and states I am not connected to the internet. If I disconnect VPN and attempt to login it allows me to?? Once logged in if i renenable VPN i can continue to work on my project but it doesnt allow me to import storyline sourced icons, images, pictures etc. again saying i am not connected to the internet. At some points i get forced out of storyline whereby I have to save my project - it then wont allow me to log back in due to one of the above.

Is anyone else experiencing these issues? is this a fault with my hardware or the software?

8 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hello Ben and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

I appreciate you contacting us to share what you are experiencing with signing in. 

This is not one that I've seen reported and it sounds pretty specific so I've opened up a support case on your behalf so that you can work 1:1 with a support engineer.

You should be hearing from someone soon.

Lauren Connelly

Hello Terri!

I know we can help make sure you can log in! 

Let's start with these three questions:

• When logging in, do you see an error message? If so, do you mind sharing a screenshot or copy/paste the text here?
  • Are you logging into the Articulate 360 desktop app or 360.articulate.com?
  • Have you tried resetting your password? If so, are you receiving the email to choose your password?

Thanks for working with us on this issue! So sorry for the trouble.

stanton mackellar

I'm interested in this thread. I have similar issues. 

This is an intermittent issue. It probably crops up once a month. I will be working in SL then for no apparent reason a pop-up will invite me to exit or login to continue. Declining that invitation is not an option. Clicking login doesn't do anything (no window opens), Thankfully exit allows me to save before I exit.

Manually going to Articulate 360 on my browser shows that I am authenticated and I can use rise. However instead of launching applications, I'm prompted to download.

Sometimes restarting my system resolves this. Sometimes not. I'm not actually sure this is making any difference.

Sometimes disconnecting from the VPN resolves this (then reconnecting once I launch SL), sometimes not. In fact, this morning I could not relaunch SL until I was connected to the VPN....The opposite step. So this is confusing.

In short, something random is going on here that is interrupting workflow. The issue is frustrating and in the past has taken days to resolve... Though I think I am getting quicker at figuring out workarounds these interruptions are not acceptable and we need to figure out what is causing this issue.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Stanton,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing what you are experiencing. The cadence of every month is expected. Articulate 360 automatically signs you out every 30 days or after 7 days of inactivity for security reasons. The Articulate 360 desktop app uses your default web browser to sign in to align with the latest security best practices.

A VPN changes network paths each time it connects, preventing the Articulate 360 desktop app and service from connecting to our servers.

We’re investigating this connection issue to determine the next steps. 

While we're investigating, here's how to work around the issue:

1. Sign out of the Articulate 360 desktop app. You can click the drop-down arrow beside your avatar in the upper-right corner of the app and select Sign Out. Here's a video demo.
  2. End the Articulate 360 desktop app and service by right-clicking the taskbar and selecting Task Manager. (You might need to click “More details” to see all the services running on your computer.) Select Articulate 360 Desktop App and click “End task,” then select Articulate 360 Desktop Service and click “End task.” And if you see a suspended Articulate 360 task, end that one too. Here's a video demo.
Jose Tansengco

Hi Jamila, 

Sorry to hear that you ran into this behavior. 

Can you confirm if your organization's network setup to allow connections to Articulate 360's endpoints? These endpoints are necessary to allow the applications to work properly, which includes the sign in sequence of the Articulate 360 Desktop app. If you're not sure, please forward this article to your network admin so they can add the listed endpoints to your network's allowlist. 

If the endpoints are already allowed, I'd recommend doing a clean install of Articulate 360 to see if this helps. Please follow these steps to remove all Articulate 360 files and registry keys from your computer, so we can start completely fresh:

1) Close the Articulate 360 desktop app by right-clicking the Articulate icon in your computer's system tray (by the clock) and choosing "Quit."

2) Go to your Control Panel and uninstall all Articulate 360 apps, including the Articulate 360 desktop app, Peek 360, Replay 360, Storyline 360, and Studio 360.

3) Download and extract this zip file on your computer: http://articulate-360-kb.s3.amazonaws.com/360cleanup.zip

4) Right-click the 360cleanup.bat file and choose "Run as administrator." The script should only take a few seconds to remove all the Articulate files and registry keys from your computer.

5) Reboot your computer.

6) Download the latest Articulate 360 desktop app here: https://360.articulate.com/downloads

7) Right-click the articulate-360.exe file and choose "Run as administrator."

8) Launch the Articulate 360 desktop app and click "Install" beside each authoring app you want to install.

9) Reboot your computer and test your Articulate apps.

Please let me know if the issue has been fixed. I want to make sure we get you up and running as quickly as possible!