Storyline 360: matching drag and drop with multiple matches?

Sep 07, 2018

Hello, 

is it possible to have a matching drag and drop where one item could be dropped on multiple, correct matches?

On the attached slide image I would like the user to drag a black icon and drop it to any of the four boxes under the correct one of the two categories. I'm not sure how to go about it even with variables. 

Any help would be super appreciated. 

14 Replies
Eric Santos

Hey Vladimir!

I hope you're doing well :)

Please find attached story file illustrating one possible way to achieve your desired outcome .

I have used a basic slide with shapes, then converted it to freeform drag and drop.

- added triggers and variables to allow the user to drop the objects to multiple correct targets

- the objects still needs to be added in the form view, but no target to be indicated. The purpose of which is to make the objects draggable

- the submit button event needs to be tweaked along with the branching of the correct and incorrect layers in the form view. For the purpose of evaluation, I created an OK button and used variables for it.

- there is a rare possibility that the user may drop an object on the correct target, but he removes it and dropped it to the same target. This will increment the number of correct answers for the target group, leading to an erroneous evaluation. This can be corrected but more variables need to be used. Please let me know if you want an update to the story file to demonstrate how this rare occurrence may be handled.

Hope this contributes a few ideas to your concern  :)

Should you have other questions, we'll be happy to assist further.

Cheers!

Eric Santos
Eric Santos

there is a rare possibility that the user may drop an object on the correct target, but he removes it and dropped it to the same target. This will increment the number of correct answers for the target group, leading to an erroneous evaluation. This can be corrected but more variables need to be used. Please let me know if you want an update to the story file to demonstrate how this rare occurrence may be handled.

Vladimir, I'm really just enjoying playing around with this Storyline project you presented  :)

Please allow me to share with you version 3 of my file.

This one hopes to resolve the issue I mentioned above.

I changed the approach in the evaluation of the correct answer, using boolean variables instead - and a hotspot.

Thanks!

Eric

Vladimir Soto

Hey Eric, 

I'm really enjoying looking into and working with the solution you gave me some months back with this drag and drop freeform pickone. I'm actually trying to have the layer 'Try Again' show if the user clicks the submit button without actually doing any of the drag and drop within the slide.  I'm stuck and I'm wondering if perhaps you could lend a hand with that. 

Many thanks in any case. You've already done so much with the assistance you threw my way previously. 

Vladimir Soto

Hi Wendy,

I really, really appreciate your assistance. Gotta say that even though I
find several small issues with the Storyline360 software, the support you
provide is by far the best of any software I've ever purchased for myself
or my studio.

Unfortunately, I've tried the solution you proposed but it's not working
for me.

The drag and drop is set up so that the elements to be dragged can only be dropped either in the right or left category that is correct. If the user clicks on the submit button without dragging all the icons to their corresponding category the layer 'Try again' should be shown. 

However, right now, even if the user completes the exercise correctly, as it is self-correcting, the message displayed tells the user to 'complete the exercise' when the 'correct' message should be displayed. 

I'm attaching the project with only that slide hoping to get a hand in better understanding how to make it work properly.

Cheers

Wendy Farmer

Hi Vladimir

Trigger order is very important - it determines how SL executes the commands.

the trigger in my example above is placed above the submit interaction button, the trigger you have added to your slide is below the submit interaction trigger which will execute before the show layer. 

Add conditions to the Submit interaction trigger 

On condition that correct is = selected OR incorrect = selected. That will stop the default invalid answer from popping up.

Try moving the trigger up and updating the conditions to see if it works how you want. See this peek

Updated file attached.

Wendy Farmer

The variables A1 etc are not changing to True after drops so the conditions are not met. You are using the groups in your triggers to adjust the variable and I think this may be the issue.  I would convert all of the freeform icons to images and put them back in - just start with one to test. I would also not have drop targets as grouped items - I have never had success using grouped items interactions but that's just my two cents worth

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.