Storyline 360 menu for users (ya/na)

Nov 30, 2023

Should students/workers be allowed to see and use the menus to navigate or see the whole course? We are discussing this and would like an outside point of view.

1 Reply
Walt Hamilton

Learner-centric navigation is very powerful. Personally, I prefer that, but with an uncluttered approach.  I believe thinking in terms of slides (traditional built-in menu) is better left in the previous century. I know we can't build true scenario-based approaches for every type of learning, but we should at least think in terms of topics and learning chunks, rather than pages and slides.

So a well-designed approach is a custom menu that allows the learner to  have as much control as reasonable over navigation. That means navigating to their choice , not of slides, but of broader topics.  for a sample of what the navigation system looks like, see the sample at this post: https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/free-sample-restricted-and-free-random-navigation-using-variables-and-triggers

I am strongly opposed to the concept of Next and Previous, except in print books. In the sample, notice the ability to explore topics, without those artificial constraints.