Storyline 360: problem with course title and accented characters

Dec 14, 2021

Hi,

we have a problem publishing a course with accented characters in the title (language: italian), that are apparently displayed with a different font, like in the attached screenshot. The problem is also visible in Storyline preview.

We didn't encouter this problem with the older version of the same course (and with older SL's versions; we've just updated to 3.58 version).

We're using the classic player with calibri font; we've tried yet to change font (i.e. Lato, Arial, Open Sans) but the problem it's the same.

6 Replies
Becca Levan

Hello Marisa!

Are the accented characters in the title displaying differently after publishing, or do you also see the issue in preview? How are you publishing? To an LMS, Review 360 or for the Web?

I do not see that a screenshot came through. Would you mind trying again with the Add Attachment button? Or, if you could share your project with us in a support case, we're happy to investigate!

Lissi Schmitt

Hi Becca, I'm experiencing the same issue as Marisa, both in the Preview and when publishing - see screenshots attached. We're creating content in German, French and Italian. Both French and Italian have accents - as does Spanish and many other European languages.

I haven't tried the accents and special characters systematically, just the ô. Just for French, Italian ans Spanish you'd need to try a bunch of accent + vowel combos (e.g. for e: è, é, ê, ë)  Ç and ñ for good measure.

Thanks for looking into this,

Lissi

Lissi Schmitt

Hi Jürgen,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm using Arial. The problem persists across fonts. I've also tried Courier, Lato and Microsoft Sans. Letters with special characters are displayed in a serif font (Garamond?) regardless of the font selected in the Storyline Player settings.

The issue is persistent across the standard and x64 beta version. I'm running Storyline in a Windows VM on a Mac, most recent version of Storyline x64. I've also tried opening the published slide in Chrome on Mac - same issue.

I think the problem has to do with the language set in the Articulate profile and in the Storyline player settings. My UI language in the Articulate profile is German. As you can see in the "German"  screenshot attached (Storyline player also set to German), the German special characters (ä, ö, ü) are displayed in the correct font, but the ones that don't exist in German like ô and ë as well as accented ones are not. I should mention that my Swiss German Macbook keyboard has the ä, ö and ü but not all of the French accented ones. So I typed e.g. "`"and then "a" to get a "à" or  "^" and then "o" to get a "ô". Not sure if this is a Mac specific way of typing accented characters.

When changing the Articulate profile language to French, that had an effect on some of the characters. Changing the language in the Storyline player settings to French this changed some more to the correct font (but not all) as you can see in the "French" screenshot. 

The font inconsistencies are really not ideal for anyone working across languages. Here in Switzerland, we have 3 official languages: German, French and Italian, so we're regularly creating content across all 3 of them. 

Jose Tansengco

Hi Lissi,

Thanks for the additional information, and good call testing using the Arial font. Since switching to Arial didn't fix the issue, there might be more to the issue than just which fonts are being used. I went ahead and opened a support case on your behalf so we can have our support engineers investigate the behavior. You're in good hands and someone from our team will be reaching out shortly via email!