Storyline 360: radio buttons accessibility with JAWS

Feb 12, 2018

I created a course containing a test with multiple choice questions utilizing radio buttons (example attached). I noticed while testing accessibility (with JAWS 16.0 and IE11) that when you tab to a radio button, it will say "radio button not checked, to change the selection press up or down arrow" however, pressing the up or down arrow doesn't do anything. Is there something I'm doing wrong when creating the test or is this an issue with Storyline 360 and radio button accessibility? No where in the documentation did I find any mention of radio buttons not being accessible, so I'm assuming its the former.

41 Replies
Steven Landry

Storyline 360 when used with JAWS, announces that the way to navigate radio buttons is with the up and down arrow.  When the up and down arrows are used, nothing happens. This behavior is present when using the following browsers.

I tested both the modern and classic player both in each of the browsers listed below.  The courses were published in Review 360 as well as SCORM 2004 Ver 4 packages in SCORM Cloud. The results were the same in all12 tests.

Here are the version numbers of the software and browsers.

Storyline 360 3.26.18601.0

Firefox 66.0.3 64-bit

IE 11.1087.16299

Chrome 73.3683.103 64-bit

JAWS 2019.1903.47

I have attached the .story file, and it uses 100% default configurations.

I have also uploaded the video of the testing to Review 360, 

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/f9c613b4-d9c8-4f7c-b049-d1a402524039/review

This defect makes it impossible for visually impaired people who use JAWS to complete interactions with radio buttons because the player instructs the user to interact with the radio buttons in a way that does nothing.

This behavior is absolutely not native to JAWS. The problem is with the way that the Storyline player is programmed. JAWS does not typically give instructions on how to operate interactive elements. Articulate developers included the operating instructions in the Storyline 360 player.

If the Articulate developers would replace the player's incorrect language with the practical way of navigating radio buttons in Storyline 360 (Tab key to go to the next button and Shift+tab to go to the previous button) the problem would be corrected.

I feel like this issue has been known about for quite a while and has not been addressed

The Articulate VPAT section 1194.21 Software Applications and Operating Systems sates:

"(l) When electronic forms are used, the form shall allow people using assistive technology to access the information, field elements, and functionality required for completion and submission of the form, including all directions and cues.

Form controls provide full data to assistive technology. The person authoring courses in Storyline can provide instructions and cues to comply with the standard."

This characterization of the feature is not accurate.  Is the VPAT suggesting that the developer should include instructions to disregard the erroneous instructions and instead operate the radio buttons in a different manner?

I apologize if my post is coming across in the wrong way, I have been wrestling with this bug for quite a while.  A large portion of our users are JAWS users and this issue renders all of the courses that we have developed in Storyline unusable for them. Has this issue been specifically identified to be fixed in a scheduled update?

Nick Gidman

The issue where the user is told to use the up and down arrows to select the radio button and this doing nothing is still present.Is this going to be fixed? Seems that this issue has been going on for years with no solution!

Software versions:

Storyline 360 v3.27.18822.0

JAWS 16

Chrome 74.0.3729.131

IE 11

Ren Gomez

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for continuing to share the crucial need for creating accessible content for all learners. While more work remains, we're at a point where we're confident the work done so far delivers meaningful real-world improvements for learners with accessibility needs. I've included links below where you can find all the details on what this means for Storyline 360 Update 36:

You'll also find our general FAQ on accessibility in Articulate 360 tools here.

This release makes it significantly easier for those users to perceive, operate, and understand content published with Storyline, while opening up more choices of browser, assistive technology, and devices for the first time. Learners will benefit from the vast majority of these improvements, even when the course author is not designing their course for accessibility. 

If you have any questions or concerns, let us know here or reach out to our Support team. We know there is more to do, so we'll continue to keep you posted about future releases.

Steven Landry

I have been having better luck with questions since then. The tool has
greatly improved in all accessibility areas. Your best bet is to get the
trial copy if you have not already done so, or unless you have a
subscription already. Set up a couple of questions and use your
assortment of OS's, browsers, and readers to get familiar with the
differences in how they handle the content.

I have been satisfied that they work in the vast majority of cases since
earlier this year.