Storyline Branching

Apr 24, 2013

I am trying to create a branching scenario in storyline. Does anyone have tips or best practice on how this can be done. Thanks

18 Replies
Bruce Graham

Hi Eneida and a warm welcome to the Community

What exactly are you looking for here?

Branching is just a tool - a tool to bring your course-design vision to life.

So - first - design your scenario so that you have the decision points - the places where you want to give people a choice. That is where branching should take place.

Can you tell us more about your scenario?

Once again welcome to the Heroes Community.

Bruce

Bart Collart

This is good stuff. I was working with a client today who was building her basic branching online with Branchtrack. It's a fun, intuitive, and quick way to work out your branching. I don't see a way to port the work back over to Storyline but it seems a great way to think things through and see quick results. (I have no affiliation BTW) Here's a link if you want to try it... https://www.branchtrack.com

Daniel Young

Is it possible to have a scenario branch out into sub-topics, and then, branch back in to a common learning objective, and then branch back out into different tracks again?

So, for example, say you have a training initiative that's going out nationally.  All the training for 5 states begins with the same Intro, then branches out into the 5 sub-topics (1 for each state), but then comes back together on a second shared topic, before branching back out into the 5 different tracks again?

Daniel Young

Hi Wendy,

Thanks so much for the info - I had thought it would be a variable of some sort.  I looked at the file you sent and wanted to follow-up with a visual of what I'm trying to accomplish.  In what I'm building (and maybe's it's not the best method), the user starts out at the Title slide, goes into an Intro, then a US Map, where they chose the training that applies to their state.  All of the content after that, is essentially the same regardless of what state you choose.  It's not until you get about 20 slides into the training that things start to get different based on the state you chose.  What I'd like to do - ideally - is have the hierarchy start at the Title like I mentioned, go through the Intro, then the US Map, let the user select their state and then have all the states navigate back to one path for the slides that contain the same information. 

This is where I draw a blank...

After the user goes through the common slides, I want the hierarchy to break back out into the state specific slides and for Storyline to remember what button they pressed back at the US Map, and display those state's slides. 

I hope that makes sense... but I attached a crude drawing to try and help.

Thank you so much for the help.

Wendy Farmer

Hi Daniel

1. create a T/F variable default False for each state that you have listed (Illinois, Texas & Florida)
  2. Add a trigger on the slide where they select state (one for each state)
    adjust variable 'illinois' to True when user clicks Illinois, adjust variable florida to True when user clicks Florida, adjust variable Texas to True when user clicks Texas
  3. On the 3rd shared info slide - set triggers:

Jump to slide illinois info when user clicks Next button on condition variable 'Illinois' = true

Jump to slide Florida info when user clicks Next button on condition variable 'florida = true

Jump to slide Texas info when user clicks Next button on condition variable 'texas = true

At the end of each of the above  state info slide, set trigger to jump to shared info slide when user clicks Next.

Hope this helps - if you look at my sample you'll see how I have set up the variables and triggers to do something similar.

Daniel Young

Hi Wendy,

That did it.  It works on my tested version... only catch is that if you go back in the timeline before the 3 state buttons (IL, FL, TX) it will advance to IL state specific information instead of TX and FL.  Since the end user base is not allowed to go back, that's okay I think.  But, if they do need to go back, is there away to break out the conditional variables so that it will always go to the state you initially select - even if you go back in the timeline?  I've attached my test file to help.  If you preview it and run through it, then go back to the buttons and click Florida, for example, it will list out the Illinois 02 slide instead of the Florida 02 slide.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.