Tab order not behaving correctly in Storyline 360

May 16, 2018

Hello! 

I'm working in articulate 360 storyline. We have "correct" and "incorrect" slide layers, each composed of a heading (e.g., Correct!), a textbox with info (e.g., that was a great answer!), and a button (e.g., Continue). When tabbing through, the player is going textbox, button, PLAYER CONTROLS, and then to the heading (i.e. Correct!). 

The tab order is correctly set to go Heading, textbox, button...but it doesn't seem to be functioning that way.

I can't figure out what is going on. Any suggestions?

19 Replies
Yonca Ural

Hi Shayla,

Are you using the built-in quizzing capability? We have found that we were unable to control the tab order for the built in quizzes. So instead we build the interactions from scratch using custom layers and radio buttons.  If it's multiple choice, we build a layer for each response (instead of just having correct vs. incorrect) and then you will be able to control the tab order. Let me know if you need more information about this. 

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Shayla and Yonca,

Thanks for bringing this up, and I'm sorry for the frustration!

Our team is currently investigating an issue where tabbing on a quiz feedback layer does not follow the Tab Order specified. Instead, it skips the feedback title when tabbing in the layer the first time.

As soon as I get an update on this, I'll pass it along. You'll be notified since you're now subscribed here!

Crystal Horn

Hey everyone. I'm excited to let you know that we just released update 17 for Storyline 360! It includes new features and fixes - check them all out here.

One of the fixes addresses an issue where the feedback layer didn't follow the Tab Order specified, skipping the Feedback Title when tabbing in the layer the first time.

Here’s how you can update Storyline 360 to take advantage of everything the latest release has to offer. Let me know how you make out!

Jay Workman

Hi all,

It seems this was fixed 5 months ago, but unfortunately the issue still persists for my version.

In all feedback layers, it still refuses to follow the tab order I have set. Attached is an example of what it's doing in my document. I am on Build 3.21.17083.0. After updating I still have this issue.

Let me know if you need anymore info from me.

Thanks!

Pradeepta Pradhan

Hi all,

If the tab order is not working properly. Follow the below steps. If the tab order is not recognising any element even it is in tab order, put a blank text box outside the story dimension area. Then go to the tab order & keep this blank text box before the element which is not recognised by tab. It will work definitely. Today I faced the same issue & found the resolution for this. Hope this helps.

Jay Cooper

I'm experiencing a similar issue, but not in a built in Articulate quiz.  I've set up a scenario where the learner makes a choice and then feedback is displayed in a layer (one if they're correct, one if incorrect).  Each layer contains a shape with the feedback text and a button; set in that tabbing order  

What I'm experiencing is that when the layer appears and I hit the tab key, focus is going to the button instead of the shape.  If I keep tabbing through the elements, I get to the shape and hit tab again and it jumps to the button.  So, I tried reversing them in the tab order and I got the same result....this time the shape is focused on first, and I have to go all the way through all of the elements before the focus gets to the button...and the next tab is the shape.  This results give me the impress that the tabbing order is going in reverse, but it's only happening on these feedback layers and I can't think of anything I did substantially different on these that would cause a problem.

I'm held up at the moment until I figure this out...unless it's a known bug in Articulate, then I can go forward and come back when the bug is fixed.

Thanks.

Jay

UPDATE:  I think I answered my own question.  It appears that when the new layer is displayed the "focus" is on the first element in the tabbing order, the focus box just isn't displayed (figured this out when I noticed the tabbing was correct on a layer that I'd forgot to back an element invisible to accessibility tools.)  I don't know if this is an issue or not, so I'll leave this here.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Jay,

It sounds like you've found a solution and may have run into difficulty based on how Storyline works with tab order in a layer. I'd love to take a look at your file to confirm. Are you able to share a copy with us? If so, you can upload at this link using the Add Attachment button or you always have an option to share privately with our Support Engineers. Either way, we'll delete it when done testing. 

If not, no worries - this discussion is already connected to the issue we're investigating so we can share updates here as soon as they're ready. 

Jessica Beck

Hello,

I have recently started working with Storyline 360, and I am seeing the same issue where the tab order is correct, but it is not working in the proper order. It appears to be happening at random and only on layers. I cannot find a solution to this, please see my attached example and help us get to the bottom of this. Thanks

Kristen Llobrera

Hi Lauren,

Has the recent update on SL 360 still have problems with tab order? Mine is not working at all. It's skipping past any text boxes on the slide and goes straight to navigation. OR if there's something wtith a trigger on it, it will tab to that, but that's it in terms of content. So I can open a layer, but I still can't tab to any text boxes or pictures.

Jessica Beck

Yes, our team has reported issues and this is the explanation I found through my research... However it does not imply that they are making any changes, it just explains why the changes were made, so we are holding off on the current update to see what happens.

https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/storyline-tab-order-skipping#reply-653155

Kristen Llobrera

Well, that sure explains a lot! Thank you so much for explaining, Jessica.

There must have been a notice about this that I missed?? I saw an email about improvements, but didn't realize how completely this was all changing. It's important information because we have to know that we need to update our instructions for users and we have to know how to test it ourselves. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.