Tabbing Issues on Text Entry Freeform Questions

Dec 09, 2020

I'm having an issue using the Tab key to submit freeform text entry questions. I've set Tab as the submit key in my form view for each question. However when I type the correct response and press the Tab key I receive an error message stating "Invalid Answer You must complete the question before submitting."

I am designing a software simulation and I want the learner to be able to tab through each field as they fill in the information. There are 17 fields in total on the form and some fields allow for different input types (For instance date can be entered as 12/09/2020 or 12092020) so I want each of the fields to represent a separate question. I've attached a file that mirrors what I'm experiencing. What am I missing?

1 Reply
Katie Riggio

Greetings, Matt!

What a fun challenge, and thanks for sharing a sample of what you're looking to do!

I also keep running into the Invalid Answer message. My hunch is that Storyline isn't sure where to go after pressing the Tab key. 

Check out the file below for another design to have a text-entry question that uses the Tab key to submit the answer. You can also test-drive the published output through this Review 360 link.

Let me know if that could work for you!