This Project is Invalid or Corrupt

May 07, 2018

We recently updated from Storyline 2 to Storyline 360 and I am currently updating some of our URL links in a couple of our courses. I have 4 files to update and three are fine, but one file I have the message of "This project is invalid or corrupt and cannot be opened. It may have been created in an earlier version of Storyline." We are currently using the Storyline 2 in our LMS so I'm not sure how to go about updating this file from here. I don't want to re-create it if at all possible. I have attached the file to see what the issue is. Does anyone have any ideas? 

4 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Nikki,

I'm so sorry you ran into that error, and I can definitely understand how frustrating that must be. 

It looks like Renson recently sent you tips for preventing file corruption, as we want to help ensure this problem never happens again. If you have any questions about those steps, please feel free to reach out here or in your case. 

Jeanne Morford

Hi!

I apologize for jumping into this discussion with a separate request for help.  I am new to this forum, so I am not sure if I should start a new discussion when it is a related problem.  I'm also not sure if the moderators continue to check for new posts after a certain period of time has passed. Hopefully, someone will see this!

I am trying to open three Storyline files created by a student of mine. For each of the three files, she appears to have imported a PowerPoint slide into Storyline.  When I attempt to open the files I am receiving the message that was described above: "This project is invalid or corrupt..."  When I attempt to import the files into a new project instead, I get the following message:

Error Message

I saw this answer to a post in another, much older discussion:  

over 4 years ago

Hi David,

Normally when we we see the "powerpoint exception" error, I would ask you to follow the troubleshooting steps here, but these are specific to Powerpoint files. Since you're getting this message when working on importing a Storyline file into a Storyline file, can you share the problematic Storyline file with us? If you'd prefer not to share in the forums, I can send directions on how to send to me privately.

I'm hoping that sharing the files might provide a possible solution to help me access them. Please let me know if these files can be saved!

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Jeanne,

No need to start anew, we're still here! Sometimes it may take our team a bit to get back to a discussion as we read everything, but we're always available to help (also, you can reach our Support Engineers 24/7 here!). 

I tested opening a couple of your files and also saw an error message that they were corrupt. 😕 Do you also have the original Powerpoint files? That may help you track down the element of corruption, although it can be tricky to identify! You could try importing a slide at a time into your project, to see which one brings up the error.

We've outlined some common causes of corruption here, but those are best practices for you going forward, and may not solve this issue. 

I'm sorry you're stuck in such a bind. One other thought is to ask your student if these open for her. If they do, have her import into a fresh file adhering to those best practices and try to share that one with you. 

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with, and welcome to the E-Learning Heroes community! 

Jeanne Morford

Hi Ashley,

Thank you so much for your amazingly fast response! I really appreciate
your help in trying to determine the problem with my student's files.
Unfortunately, I don't have access to her original PowerPoint slides, but I
will ask her to recheck her files and resubmit them. I will also pass along
the information you sent on common causes of file corruption. Since the
goal of the class is to learn to use a new authoring program while
designing and developing an education module, that information will provide
a good lesson on protecting your work!

Thank you again for your assistance!
Jeanne

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.