Transcript Customization for Word Wrapping Rule (Japanese and Chinese Languages)

May 31, 2016

Hi Everyone!

We are localizing some courses in the Japanese and Chinese languages. We are facing issues related to the word wrapping rule for these two languages while working with the transcript, as the default transcript accepts English language rules only.  Due to this, a lot of empty space is left on the right side of the text field (this is acceptable in English language), which is incorrect as per the Japanese and Chinese word wrapping rules.

Thus, we are forced to manually introduce spaces between characters, such that the word wrapping rules are followed and the empty spaces on the right side are filled. This manual process takes a lot of time and effort.

Is there a method to make the transcript automated according to the localized language related rules, so that the manual process is not required?  

Please share your inputs!

Look forward to your response.

Cheers!

6 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Nitin,

Thanks for reaching out here - I'm not familiar with the Word wrapping rules for other languages, but if you could include some examples we could have our QA team investigate this further and determine if it's a bug. 

Also, when you're using the Chinese version, have you changed the Interface language as such as well? Or just when you're entering characters in still within the English interface? 

Nitin Saxena

Hi Ashley and Joanne,

Please find attached the Storyline file where inappropriate spaces (about "one-character" space) are left at the end of some lines. I have also attached couple of screenshots to show the examples of issues #1 and #2. Please refer to the attached screenshots.

Issue #1:
2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8:
These spaces should be equally layout within the lines. If we justify the text, then it give extra spaces within the Japanese characters.

Issue #2:
1:
Storyline changes lines at here between "じ" and "た" because we do not have any special characters around them. This "た" should be placed at the end of the previous line (next to じ).

Issue #3:
3: Storyline should place "ディ" at the end of the previous line (next toメ). There are still some more space for them.

Below are some basic Japanese word wrapping rules, Is it possible to manage them without doing manual effort:

1. Periods (。) or commas (、) are not placed at the beginning of any lines,
2. Dash (ー) are not placed at the beginning of any lines,
3. Any small characters (ィ, ォ, ャ, ェ, ッ, ョ, etc.) are not placed at the beginning of any lines,
4. Opening brackets ("「", "(") are not placed at the end of any lines, and closing brackets ("」", ")") are not placed at the start of any lines, and
5. English words are not divided into two lines.

Please investigate how to fix these issues.

Thanks for your help on this.

Thanks Nitin for sharing the images and the .story file. I wanted to ask just a few more questions based on what you shared - you showed an image that indicates you're viewing the HTML5 output locally - do you see the same thing in the Flash content? What about when you upload and test in the intended environment? Viewing it locally can cause odd behavior, so I'd want to rule that out first.  

I'm going to share this with our team as well and will be in touch with you shortly. 

Hi Nitin, 

Thanks for sharing that information and my apologies for the delay. I sent this along to someone on our QA team to take a better look as it was well outside my wheelhouse and he shared the following general feedback/questions:

• What font are you using? Is it one supported for Japanese/Chinese text? It wasn't one that was familiar to him in terms of that language set up.
  • Are you also using a Japanese OS system? Or English OS? 
  • He also made some comments in regards to the Notes wrapping on the two attached images.

Lastly, this is something that our team will continue to investigate, as we know that often in Asian scripts the characters are lined up almost like a grid to be aesthetically pleasing, and in printed material it's often tweaked to match that - but it doesn't seem that electronic publishing currently supports that set up. 

Mark Klosowski

Hi Nitin,

Here are a couple of things to try.

1) Use a font that supports East Asian characters. 

2) When authoring the Notes, set the alignment to Justified.

For Japanese try a font like Meiryo. For Chinese, SimSun or similar should give better results. As for justifying the lines, yes that will increase the space between characters, but it's much more aesthetically pleasing to have the right side all aligned, even if that means a bit of extra space. The default font, Articulate, does not support Asian characters.

Keep in mind that some of the "small" Japanese characters and punctuation may only take up a "half-space" and so they might make the right edge ragged if the text is not justified.

Hope this helps. Would like to hear if you are still seeing other issues after trying these.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.