13 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger

Hi Doug,

I just tested this in Storyline 2, and I see the master slide text I added included as a part of the translation export document for Word. I just had added some random text to a master slide - but if you've got something more specific set up, please let us know.

You'll also want to make sure you're working on files as described here. 

Doug Rice

Thanks, Ashley.

I tested this in both SL1 and SL2 and am not seeing the text in the export file. The text in question is in layers and states within the master slides. Unfortunately, I can't post the story file due to sensitivity issues. We're making pretty extensive use of states and layers to create a software simulation. Maybe that's throwing off the export process. I'm doing everything on my local machine so no network issues.

I'll do some more testing on my end.

Doug Rice

Ashley,

I was able to strip down one of my story files so that your team could take a look. You'll notice that none of the text from the master slides and master slide layers is showing up in the export file. I've attached both the story file and export file. I'm doing this in Storyline 1 but the same thing happens in Storyline 2. I've attached both versions, along with the export files.

Can't for the life of me figure out why this isn't working.

Thanks!

Ashley Terwilliger

Hi Doug,

So I took a look at your SL1 file - and the slide master that seems to have all the text on it was not being used - so therefore it wasn't included as a part of the export. I added in a new slide based on that layout of "Viewer" slide master and then a number of those master slide elements were included in the export. Things like button text or image text will not be included as a part of the export. Can you take a look at the version of the SL1 file with this blank slide adding and my export set up as well? 

Doug Rice

Thanks, Ashley.

Looks like I got a little overzealous while cleaning out sensitive content from the file! The problem seems to be that none of the layer content from the main master slide (Clean Slide Master) gets included in the export. Notice that none of the text from the "Description" and "6 Key Areas" layers in that main master are in the exported Word document. I wonder if it's because these layers are displayed via a variable change trigger (since they're on a slide master) rather than being called through "Show layer" triggers.

I looked back through my other story files and none of that main slide master layer content is included in the translation exports.

I've attached updated test files.

Thanks again!

Ashley Terwilliger

Hi Doug,

Thanks for sharing an updated copy with more information to look at. I see the Description/Key areas pieces you're talking about while previewing and as you mentioned I think it has to do with the layer element from a slide master being called by a variable. For some reason when I try to export this for translation it's giving me an error message, so I took a look at this in Storyline 2 - and the same occurs that the additional text is not including in the translation export when included on a slide master layer. I'm  not sure if this is by design or not, so I'm reaching out to our team for some additional information and I'll update you here once I have additional info. 

Ashley Terwilliger

Hi Doug,

I talked with a few members of our team, and they confirmed that they would expect it to work since the slide master layouts include the text for export - so that on a layer within the main slide master it should work as well. I've filed a bug report around this issue so that they can look into it further. I can't offer a timeframe in regards to a fix, but I will share any additional information here once it's available. In the meantime, it looks that if you include that information on a slide master layout you'll be able to include that in an export - and you can still choose to use that layout as your master within your file. 

Leslie McKerchie

Hi all,

I wanted to provide an update here, as Storyline 2 Update 8 was just released, and included a number of fixes which you can see in the release notes available here. The item you all may be particularly interested in is how it fixed an issue where text from slide master layers wouldn't be exported for translation. You can download the latest update here, and after downloading and installing the latest update you’ll want to republish any existing content to ensure that the updates and fixes are applied.

Let us know if you have any questions, either here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.