Tutorial on making Storyline 508 compliant

Jun 18, 2015

Hi!

I have to make everything 508 compliant in rather deep detail. I'd love to see more tutorials on how to do so. I keep finding links to this table, which then links to this page on WHAT is compliant but not how to make it so.  I've also found dozens of links to this page, but again, it doesn't explain HOW to make things compliant. 

I love that all these new features are added somewhere within Storyline - it's why we bought it. But please, please make some of your great tutorials explaining how to implement these features. 

For instance: 

• Keyboard navigation - not just tab order (found that one!) but the ability to move slides forward and back using keyboard commands. It works inconsistently, I've found, and I'd love to see a tutorial. Additionally, it would be great to be able to implement this on a Master or in the Player. 
  • Any player features that pertain to accessibility. I'm worried that while the course might be accessible, the player might not be. (Found font size adjustment but what about adding keyboarding to forward/back)
  • Skipping player navigation? (It's in a table as a feature, but would love a tutorial.)
  • Keyboard support for sliders? Again, in the table as a feature but no further information. 

Through some hunting and pecking I've found things like Alt-tags and tab order. But an overall tutorial on 508? I bet I'm not the only one who would welcome that!

6 Replies
Jennifer Wagner

I would also welcome a more step-by-step tutorial. I am particularly having problems using tabs with quizzing (with or without feedback).

As for keyboard navigation, you can add triggers to jump to next/previous slide when the user presses the right/left key (or any other keys you want), either in the Master view or on individual slides.

Skipping player navigation is now enabled (for the Modern player at least) as tabbing goes through the slide and previous/next before accessing other parts of the menu. As long as you don't tab past next, it will remain on each slide and not cycle through the menu each time.

Jennifer Wagner

Thanks Alyssa. The yellow boxes appear out of order when tabbing through possible answers to multiple choice questions when the shuffle answers option is turned on. I understand why this happens though, so I'm not sure if there is a fix besides just turning off the shuffle option.

My major problem is the Enter key somehow preventing the tabbing functionality from working on the feedback layer in a fill in the blank question slide after the user has entered their answer. The only way to get past it is to use the mouse to click Continue.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Jennifer!

It sounds like you've run into two issues that our team is currently looking into. Here's an overview of those issues we're seeing:

• Users can't close the Feedback layer when using Enter to submit text entry answers.
  • "Shuffle answers" causes the focus to be out of order when tabbing through the answer choices. 

We'll keep you posted on our progress with these. Thanks for letting us know they are affecting your courses, and I'm sorry for the headaches they've caused you!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.