Glossary and Resources not 508 Compliant?

Apr 07, 2015

I just read an item in the book on Storyline by Diane Elkins and Desiree Pinder ("E-Learning Uncovered") that has me a bit concerned.  Their brief section on creating a 508-compliant course states that one should NOT use the Resources and Glossary features of the Storyline player for 508-compliant presentations, as that goes against the requirement that states "A method shall be provided that permits users to skip repetitive navigation links".  

Since apparently the Glossary and Resources links can't be skipped, they shouldn't be used.  Is this true, and is there a work-around?  We'd hate to lose our glossary and resource features, but we need to be 508-compliant.

3 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Mike,

I don't know enough about the 508 guidelines to say if those are considered repetitive navigation links, but if they're enabled as a part of your player - yes the user will have to tab past it when navigating around the player. As per our documentation on 508 support, it indicates skipping links is author controlled, so my guess is that's referring to slide elements. 

Michael O.

I worked for the Feds between 1999-2007 and had to deal with 508 a lot.  I don't know if interpretations have changed since then, but at the time the menu items like Glossary and Resources would be considered repetitive links. 

I don't think Articulate has put in a "Skip Navigation" link that jumps past those items. 
http://webaim.org/techniques/skipnav/

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.