Understanding Storyline 360 vs 3 published zips

Oct 24, 2018

We are working on the Flash end-of-life and having to go back through thousands of Storyline published zip files to see if they contain Flash (swf or flv files). We also have packages created by other tools as well.

We've been developing a package sniffer to look inside the zips and check for any "flashy" files and also decode the tool and version used to create the course. 

We've found that on our LMS and in our corporate environment HTML5-only from Storyline 3.18+ seem to work the best. (We still have a lot of users on IE11.) We want to scan the zip and then either give the package a fail/warning/pass. So for example something like this.

• SL2 Flash: FAIL (because of .swfs)
  • SL2 dual publish: FAIL (because not supported by IE11 without Flash)
  • SL 360 html5 only:  If the build version is 18+ give it a PASS, if not then a WARNING that it should be carefully checked.

We've got most of this working, but SL3 and SL360 both report with versions/build numbers 3.x.

I've checked the version histories for SL3 and SL360 and can't see an easy (and future proof) way to tell if a package that reports as "Articulate Storyline 3.5" is published by someone using an old version of SL360 or an up-to-date version of SL3.

We could build a lookup list based on the current release history and the more detailed build numbers, but that would require updating every time there is an update to SL.

Is there some way to tell the difference between SL3 and SL360 published packages?

Do I even need to distinguish them? By that I mean, since we found issues in our environment with SL360 (build 3.5) does that mean SL3 (build 3.5) will have the same issues? If this is the case, how soon until SL3 gets to build 18?!?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

4 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi R,

You are not getting the other numbers from the build?

For instance:

Storyline 3, Update 5 is Build 3.5.16548.0

Storyline 360, Update 5 is Build 3.5.11153.0

They will certainly not be the same. The latest update to Storyline 3 is Update 5, which was released on August 16, 2018 and the latest update to Storyline 360 is Update 20, which was released September 18, 2018. Based on the dates, Storyline 3 has the same fixes in place through Update 18 of Storyline 360.

R Rothrock

Yes I'm getting the additional numbers. They may not be the same, but I can't see any easy way to tell, for example, if 3.3.15007.0 is SL3 or SL360?

As I mentioned, I could build a look up list to compare, but that would be complex and it would need to be updated each time a new version of either one became available.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi R, 

I think you'll need to compare the build numbers in the version history to what you're seeing. Here's a list of the Storyline 3 version history up to the current build of 3.5.16548.0 and the same for Storyline 360, up to build 3.20.16814.0

Based on that you can see that 3.3.15007.0 is Storyline 3 Update 3. 

Our team keeps those version history pages up to date with every update released, so you can always reference those. 

R Rothrock

Darn. I was hoping there was some kind of systemic thing that would tell us. Some way of knowing just from the number.

As I mentioned were are trying to automate this for thousands of courses. Having to look it up from a page or a list isn't reliable or practical.

But if it is what we've got then that is what we will have to do.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.