Using Quiz differently in Storyline 360

Aug 02, 2023

Hi brains trust!

I will try to explain this the best I can so bear with me. Overall, it's systems training and we want to 'test' proficiency/competency. There is no official assessment, scoring, grading.

1. Prior to learning content, a proficiency activity was created (essentially the learning content without prompts) in a quiz format

2. Quiz formatted to monitor the number of mistakes (yes, mistakes)made by user. Correct answers result to moving forward; incorrect answers/mistakes result to popup. Correct answers have no score; mistakes to 1 point.

3. What I would like to happen is:

After X number of mistakes (3-5 depending on complexity of activity), I would like the exercise to quit and jump straight into the learning content.

4. I don't want the learner to complete the activity, nor do they need to see the result page (hidden).

Is this even possible? I am not a programmer; I don't do scripting well but I can follow.

Thank you!

9 Replies
Joe Hauglie

It should be possible to do what you are describing. What you are wanting is to use the variable values on a Results slide to trigger whether or not the learner proceeds with the "pre-test" or goes directly into the content.

So I would try adding a Results slide but putting it in a non-viewed slide - perhaps set it up as a separate slide in a new scene, or create it as a lightbox but then do not call the lightbox to appear. Then set your triggers to direct the learner into the content once there is a score of "5" or whatever.

You could accomplish the same effect by instead treating the point total as it generally is. Set up your question bank to show a certain number of questions, and if the point total does not meet the threshold you set, then the learner is sent directly into the material.

I would suggest that you do allow the learner to see what he or she answered compared to the correct answers. Even on a pre-test such as this, giving the learner the opportunity to see what he or she selected vs. the right answers can be a valuable learning tool.

Good luck -

Eric Santos

Hi S J,

I'm happy to share some ideas as well! I created the attached Storyline project based on your requirements. I added a welcome slide, five quiz questions, and a new scene representing the lesson content. Here are the key points in that sample course:

1. A number variable to count the incorrect answers. The default value is 0.number variable
  2. Jump to slide trigger in the Correct layer of the last question slide. This is to jump to the first slide of the lesson content, as this is the last question.trigger in the correct layer of last question slide
  3. Jump to next slide trigger in the Correct layer of the rest of the question slides.trigger in the correct layer of rest of the question slides
  4. Two triggers in the Incorrect layer of the question slides.triggers in the incorrect layer

5. Text on the Incorrect layers of the question slides to show the running total for the number of mistakes. This includes a variable reference to the mistakes variable.

variable reference to mistakes variable

Please let me know if you have any questions!

S J

Hi Joe, thanks for that. 

I have it set it up as you had suggested. My issue is I didn't want it to go all the way to the end and indicate they made x mistakes. Rather by the X mistake (3rd?), it jumps straight to the learning content.

We are doing it this way to recognize prior experience to the system or similar. If they are confidently familiar and knowledgeable, then they really do not need to go through the learning content. My audience are adult professionals and really time poor. Also the reason why there are no prompts. 

However, we are setting a knowledge check after the content where right answers are provided/prompted.