Utilizing the full width of the screen using a 1366X768 slide size

Apr 05, 2024

Let's suppose we're designing a course for a common resolution of 1366x768 pixels. Configuring the Storyline design slide size to 1366x768 pixels won't fully utilize the available width of the slide (black bars on each side) when considering the use of the full-screen feature.

By adding 232 pixels to the width, we can now utilize the entire width of the resolution in full screen mode (Resized).

By adding 544 pixels to the slide width, the normal and full screen will fill up the space to the edge of the screen eliminating the black bars on each side (Not resized). The full screen function will not resize the content since the content is already at it's max,  it will only hide the browser buttons and search bar.

Why is Storyline not using the full width of the screen eliminating the black bars on each side of the presentation?

2 Replies
Sam Hill

Hi Michael, when you set-up your slide size, you are also setting the aspect ratio that the slide will adhere to, so it doesn't skew/distort the content. The slide size scales. Therefore any other elements that take up space on your display will impact how the content is displayed. For example browser UI will use some display space, as will the Storyline player UI. Also opening and closing the Menu will change the amount of space on the top/bottom of the Storyline slide.

It wouldn't really be possible to make the slide fill the available space for all different instances, as the aspect ratio can be different.

To answer this specific question "Why is Storyline not using the full width of the screen eliminating the black bars on each side of the presentation?". In order to do this, the Storyline slide will probably need to increase it's height beyond the available space at the top and bottom of the available space.

Does that answer your question, or have I misunderstood?

Jose Tansengco

Hi Michael,

I wanted to add that I also opened a support case on your behalf so one of our support engineers can take a look at the Player behavior you're experiencing. You might be running into a limitation with how the Player resizes a course depending on the browser, and I'll let my colleague Georvy confirm if this is what's happening in your case. You're in good hands, and Georvy will reach out to you shortly!