Voice overs/text-to-speech

Mar 03, 2023

I work with Storyline a lot as an Instructional Designer, and I was wondering when Articulate will come out with more voices for text-to-speech. Also, the voices sound really robotic, so is there a way to fix that on Articulate's end? I have to do all voiceovers in Vyond because they offer a plethora of voices and just added more. 

Thanks so much!  

Melissa

Pinned Reply
Michael Marcos

Hi everyone, in reviewing this thread, I saw quite a few posts that called out the robotic nature of the Text To Speech feature in Storyline 360 and I wanted to share some good news. Today in Storyline 360 update 80, users will see better versions of most of the voices when inserting TTS audio. These will show up in the same place as the standard voices, under “Neural Voices”. These are voices that sound more natural and human-like and are considerably higher in quality compared to the older standard TTS voices.

A list of these voices can be found  here. Updating Storyline 360 to the latest version is super easy, here is the guide in case anyone needs it. 

We will continue to keep tabs on requests to support ways to control speaking rate, inserting silence, pronunciation and SSML support in general. Please let us know of any feedback (good or bad), around this enhancement and we’ll be happy to pass it along to our dedicated team of engineers. 

All the best, 
Michael Marcos
Customer Support Product Liaison

23 Replies
Jose Tansengco

Hello Melissa, 

Those are great questions!

Our team is working on improving the customizability of the text-to-speech feature. We've added your voice to the feature request report, and we're taking each one of these requests into consideration as we plan for new features to add to Storyline 360 in the future. Thanks for your input!

Don Finch

I second the motion. Obviously, the workflow of native text to speech in Storyline is the best. Easiest to manage, update, and produce.  However, 4 female and 3 male voices, none of which are "AI" or "natural" sounding is a real limitation.  Our internal customers hate most of them, so we have to jump through a lot of hoops to leverage the many, much higher quality, voices available in other tools. And the edit review publish workflow is much more cumbersome.

Articulate is one of the premier eLearning suites on the planet. The lack of a modern TTS solution hurts the overall success of the toolset.

Patricia Dent

Hi Mike,

I'm currently trying out LOVO on a free-trial basis. So far, my organization and I are pleased with the voices. If you're interested, here's the link to create a free account:

Sign In: Genny by LOVO | AI Text to speech and Generative AI

I find LOVO easy to use and it works well with Storyline.

I hope this helps!

Matthew Stephens

I agree with this sentiment. While I currently utilize Vyond, Revoicer, and Synthesia, there are a plethora of exceptional solutions available. Nonetheless, Storyline's limited functionality poses a significant hindrance, especially when creating courses in multiple languages. This limitation results in an exponential increase in effort, and cost.

Mike Reynolds

I have been using Amazon Polly to create all of the MP3 audio clips used for narration in my Storyline courses because it delivers " high-quality, natural-sounding human voices in dozens of languages". It's MUCH better than the robotic TTS available from Storyline 360 and I've found it to be both quick and easy to use. In addition, the price is very reasonable because the IT group at my company is already working with Amazon Web Services.

Michael Marcos

Hi everyone, in reviewing this thread, I saw quite a few posts that called out the robotic nature of the Text To Speech feature in Storyline 360 and I wanted to share some good news. Today in Storyline 360 update 80, users will see better versions of most of the voices when inserting TTS audio. These will show up in the same place as the standard voices, under “Neural Voices”. These are voices that sound more natural and human-like and are considerably higher in quality compared to the older standard TTS voices.

A list of these voices can be found  here. Updating Storyline 360 to the latest version is super easy, here is the guide in case anyone needs it. 

We will continue to keep tabs on requests to support ways to control speaking rate, inserting silence, pronunciation and SSML support in general. Please let us know of any feedback (good or bad), around this enhancement and we’ll be happy to pass it along to our dedicated team of engineers. 

All the best, 
Michael Marcos
Customer Support Product Liaison

Matthew Stephens

What would be great is if TTS could extract the content from the slide, rather than from the notes. This is an extra cumbersome step. Even better if you can TTS on for all content in the slide, ie including all layers, then edit from each TTS panel. Further, if you copy the course and translate into a different language, all TTS settings remain so you don’t have to repeat the process for every language.

Steven Benassi

Hi Lori!

Great question!

Both Standard and Neural voices are still available in Storyline. However, only certain languages support the option to switch between both. Danish would be one of those languages, for example.

Danish-TTS

This article goes into more detail on which languages support which voice format. Please let me know if you have any more questions!