WebM Video Format Workaround in Storyline 360?

Apr 08, 2017

Hi everyone,

I'm currently creating content that will be used as training material within a web app that runs in a custom Chromium build, so MP4 is not supported. I know there isn't a way to change video formats within Storyline, so I was thinking that maybe I could convert videos to WebM after publishing and just change the video links in the code to .webm.

Has anyone tried this? I'm having trouble finding the media links within the HTML and JS files. I see reference of the video content in the JS files (altText), but can't seem to figure out how to change the video file name.

11 Replies
Tom Lund

Hi,

I have the exact same problem as Ben in a CBT course with lots of videos that are updated regularly, so Ben's workaround is not really a viable solution. Any chance that Storyline will support WebM files natively? Now that the HTML5 engine has been significantly updated and works very well, it would be a natural next step to support WebM.

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Tom!

Great question, but not one I know the answer to. I'm not familiar with WebM, but sounds like you may be.

I do know that getting that submitted to our team as a feature request is a good start :) Be sure to share the need and benefit so that we can fully understand the request.

Thanks so much!

Bridgitte Li

Hi Ben,

I'm curious to learn more about your solution! I published a module with a mp4 video, then went in to data.js and app.min.js to manually manipulate the file type. I also copied over my .webm video file to the corresponding folder, but when I launch my module, the video doesn't load. Can you provide any more guidance as to what I might be doing wrong? Or anything that I'm not considering?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Neeraj Sharma

Hello

I have exported project of Articulate storyline ​​by Web Publishing. All the videos are exported in MP4 format. I converted my project by HTML executable which only provides support for open-source audio and video codecs: WEBM, WEBA, OGG. The Chromium build is not enabled for the MP4 video format (H264 codec), as this format requires licensing.

Please help how can I web publish with video file format WEBM, WEBA or OGG.

Tom Lund

5 years after the initial discussion this has not been adressed, and I yet again find myself really needing support in Storyline for formats natively supported by the Chromium engine.

The workaround posted by Ben still works with a few changes. You have to do the following (for webm support, should work for others as well):

1. Convert the mp4 videos to webm (obviously)
  2. Add webm in the slides.min.js file
    • Change video:"flv mov mp4 avi" to video:"flv mov mp4 avi webm"
  3. Change the file extension for each video in the data.js file. You can also change the videoType and fileSize to match, but the videos will play without doing this
    • Change {"kind":"asset","id":38,"videoType":"mp4","width":396,"height":428,"duration":6300,"framerate":30,"fileSize":199892,"asversion":"3","url":"story_content/video_name.mp4"}
      to {"kind":"asset","id":38,"videoType":"webm","width":396,"height":428,"duration":6300,"framerate":30,"fileSize":95308,"asversion":"3","url":"story_content/video_name.webm"}

I tried posting a feature request to get native support for webm, but got a "The page you're looking for can't be found" error after submitting, so I have no idea if it went through.

Kelly Auner

Hi Tom,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your updated workaround here for the community!

I'm sorry to hear that you received an error message after submitting your feature request. I wanted to share the feature request link with you here so you have easy access to it!

Here is our process when handling feature requests. First, we check if there’s already a way to do what you’re asking. If there is, we’ll let you know how. If not, we determine will this feature meaningfully improve the experience of working with our software? Will it benefit a majority of users? If the answer is “yes!”, we bring the request to our product development team.

The development team evaluates feature requests alongside their queue of bug fixes, new features already on the roadmap, and other projects. If a new feature makes it onto the roadmap, our team tests it, and we share the news when it’s ready.