What am I doing wrong?

Dec 07, 2021

Hi all, 

I'm sorry if I'm asking too many questions. I'm new to Storyline and I really want to learn all the ins and outs there is to know! Your answers have been great so far, so perhaps one of you can help me figure this one out. 

I want to show an arrow when the learner clicks one of the person icons. To get this to work I've made a true/false variable. When the learner clicks outside the person icon or on another person's icon, the state goes back to normal. I've linked this to a true/false value. But I can't seem to make this work. Could any of you help out?

I've also made a ticket to support for other issues on this page. But I thought maybe you guys can help with this one. 

5 Replies
Walt Hamilton

Looking at the triggers, I'm guessing on what you are trying to do. If I'm right, here are a couple of things that can help you.

It looks like you want to change the state of Icon 2 to Normal if any graphic is clicked. (Clicking them sets them to Visited state.)  "When state of ... is a very appealing trigger, but seems to be reliable for a maximum of four or five objects. (Besides, it is poor practice. You may think it is "When state becomes...", but it isn't. it is "When state is...". So there is no real action to cause your trigger to initiate. It is better practice to tie your trigger to a real action.) Fortunately clicking on any object causes it to become Visited, so you can change this trigger to fire when any of those objects is clicked.

You don't need the variable. Variables serve to let you know what happened at some other time or place. As long as you don't leave this slide before you jump to the next scene, you can look around, and see what happened, without the variable.

So you can use this trigger:

Just change the ""if" part to "If Freeform 1 is visited, OR Freeform 2...etc."

If you will set the initial state of Icon 2 to Hidden, you won't need this trigger:

This trigger won't work anyway, because once any Freeform is clicked, it won't return to Normal state,