What we’re doing about Flash (updated 01/16/2020)

Aug 04, 2017

NOTE:  The discussion below is now outdated.  For the most updated information on how the end of Flash affects Articulate apps and courses, please click here.

You may have heard that Adobe is phasing out support for Flash in 2020. We’ve known that Flash has been on its way out for some time. To make sure we’re ready, we’ve been working hard to build tools that’ll fit your needs today and in the future.

We’ve been shifting to HTML5 for several years. That’s why Articulate 360 and Storyline 3 have HTML5-first or HTML5-only publishing options, making it easy for you to create e-learning that relies only on HTML5. You can read a bit more about our shift towards HTML5 here.

For your existing courses, you have a couple of options:

• If you included HTML5 as a part of the published output, you can point to that directly over the Flash version and make sure your users are viewing the course in a supported HTML5 browser. Here’s how.
  • You can update your courses using Articulate 360 or Storyline 3, and publish for HTML5 only.

Articulate 360 is officially Flash-free, so the Flash Player isn’t required to use any Articulate 360 apps.  The same is true for Storyline 3.

Storyline 2 and Studio '13 rely on Flash for authoring.  We recommend that you upgrade to Storyline 3 or Articulate 360 since these applications do not have any Flash dependencies.

UPDATE (01/16/2020): Edited to link to this article.

238 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Becky,

Exactly.

You can already remove Flash from the published output by choose HTML5 Only. We know a lot of our customers are moving towards no longer having Flash installed on the computer even and it's currently a requirement of Storyline authoring. We'll be removing that requirement in the near future. 

Hi Terri, 

The big ones that come to mind are SWF files and any FLV files with alpha channel transparency. So, mostly the videos that were designed specifically for Flash won't work with your HTML5 output. 

This article is a comprehensive comparison of all the features and functions and what will or won't work in Flash, HTML5 and the Articulate Mobile Player. 

Kari Bogdan

We have started republishing courses with SL3 using the HTML5 only setting (this excludes courses with video because we use IE11 and Windows7).  One of our staff asked if we need to wait until the later part of 2019 since more updates could be made between now and then to increase compatibility with HTML5.  If they are working in our LMS now with the HTML5 only setting, shouldn't we be good to go?

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Kari.  We will likely have at least one more update to Storyline 3 by mid-2019. 

As browsers update and interact with our output differently, we'll continually make updates to keep your courses running smoothly.  I think you're good to go for now, and we'll let you know about the next release for Storyline 3 and what it addresses! 

Luciana Santimaria

Hi!

I am trying Articulate 360, and I am publishing courses in Flash with option in HTML5.

I choose that option because my client uses its LMS with both Chrome and Explorer, and the institutional font is not showed in Explorer: fonts are displayed after enabling the download of fonts option (before doing this, every font turns to Times New Roman, how is that possible?). This is not a solution for my client since it is big company, where many people do not have IT skills at all.

My question -after resigning myself to publishing in Flash- is if in 2020 the contents uploaded on the client´s LMS will still be available in HTML5 (since I did not publish with any "pure" HTML5 option).

Thanks!!

Luciana

Daniel  Feerst

I have Studio 13. I stopped using html5 because it was preventing certificates from appearat the end of a test on Chrome, Edge, and Mozilla Firefox. Now I see them popping. Nothing wouldhappen after someone put their name in the box and clicked print. It would just stay there. What should I do.
Daniel A. Feerst, BSW, MSW, LISW-CP

Hi Daniel,

What do you mean by you see them popping? Are those browsers blocking the pop up of the new report.html tab that you were using for a certificate? I know there is an issue where the HTML5 output wouldn't allow the Print Result button from Result Slide to operate, so you'd want to use one of the supported browsers for Flash and Studio '13 such as IE11. That issue is still open. 

Let me know if I misunderstood! 

Daniel  Feerst

Precisely. " an issue where the HTML5 output wouldn't allow the Print Result button from Result Slide to operate, so you'd want to use one of the supported browsers for Flash and Studio '13 such as IE11"

If I generate a program with html5 and html, Chrome and Edge won't work.But students don't know this in advance.
Daniel A. Feerst, BSW, MSW, LISW-CPPublisher, WorkExcel.com
P.O. Box 2006
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29465-20061-800-626-4327 FAX (843) 884-0442publisher@workexcel.com/Follow me on LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/workexcel/

Hi Daniel,

First, I noticed that your email signature came through when you replied via email. You can remove that if you would like by clicking Edit beneath your response. Here’s a quick Peek video if you need help.

Chrome and Edge have started to disable Flash by default, but an individual learner could still enable it. If they did, they'd be able to use the Print results feature. It won't work in the HTML5 output in either of those browsers, and only Chrome would be supported for HTML5 output. 

It does not appear that this same issue is present in Studio 360, part of the Articulate 360 suite, so if you're thinking about upgrading in preparation for a Flash-free future - our Sales team is happy to talk you thru it! 

Daniel  Feerst

Yes or No. Sorry, need one more reply....
When making courses in Studio 13, generate with html5 and html, but tell customer only to use Google Chrome.Avoid IE11, Firefox, and Edge. This way, a .PNG certificate linked with the report.html file (This is how I do it) will generate and the print button will work.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Daniel,

No, I would not recommend using only Chrome.

According to our documentation here, the Print Results feature will only work in Flash.

Studio '13 Flash output will work best in Internet Explorer 11 and Firefox. While Flash is also supported in Google Chrome, it is being phased out, so it may not work on your learners' machines.

Daniel  Feerst

Is this correct: Presenter '13 is no longer able to show certificates of completion with .png certificate and report.html and therefore Presenter Studio '13 is a dead product for this purpose. No browser will support it very soon. Mozilla Firefox (jan 14 report) is killing it this year with Update 69.

In a message dated 1/18/2019 5:21:23 PM Eastern Standard Time, heroes@articulate.com writes:

|
|
| |   |   |

| |   |

|
Reply to What we’re doing about Flash

Alyssa Gomez replied:

Hi Daniel,

No, I would not recommend using only Chrome.

According to our documentation here, the Print Results feature will only work in Flash.

Studio '13 Flash output will work best in Internet Explorer 11 and Firefox. While Flash is also supported in Google Chrome, it is being phased out, so it may not work on your learners' machines.
|   |

|
| Reply |

|
| View |

|   |   |

|
To post a response, simply reply to this email.

You received this email because you subscribed to this discussion. Unsubscribe

© 2019 Articulate Global, Inc. All rights reserved.
|
|

|

|

Hi Daniel,

One correction on your statement:  Presenter '13 is not able to show certificates of completion with .png certificate and report.html within the HTML5 output.  

It still works in Flash, and although Flash is no longer being supported by Adobe in 2020, it's still an option within most browsers. Even Chrome can still allow Flash, it's disabled by default. 

So for your learners, I'd suggest they use IE11 or Firefox for the best experience and look at enabling Flash within the browser. 

Daniel  Feerst

Ashley, when I do not generate an html5, and I tell the customer to use Chrome, Firefox, or Edge...all is good in the world.
When will this "scenario" above END.

Jan 1, 2020? Or will there always be some way to access flash in some way?

|
|
| |   |   |

| |   |

|
Reply to What we’re doing about Flash

Ashley Terwilliger replied:

Hi Daniel,

One correction on your statement:  Presenter '13 is not able to show certificates of completion with .png certificate and report.html within the HTML5 output.  

It still works in Flash, and although Flash is no longer being supported by Adobe in 2020, it's still an option within most browsers. Even Chrome can still allow Flash, it's disabled by default. 

So for your learners, I'd suggest they use IE11 or Firefox for the best experience and look at enabling Flash within the browser.

|   |

|
| Reply |

|
| View |

|   |   |

|
To post a response, simply reply to this email.

You received this email because you subscribed to this discussion. Unsubscribe

© 2019 Articulate Global, Inc. All rights reserved.
|
|

|

|

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Daniel!

You mentioned you're planning to publish with Flash only (omitting HTML5) and tell the customer to use Chrome, Firefox, or Edge.

This will work as long as the customer has enabled Flash in those browsers.

After 2020, Flash will no longer be supported by Adobe. At that time, Internet Explorer/Microsoft may decide to deprecate Flash Player support from their browser. The same may be true for Chrome and Firefox. You may want to consider upgrading to one of our newer products for broader HTML5 support.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.