[E-learning in Healthcare] Monthly Discussion Feb 2012

Feb 23, 2012

Welcome to the monthly E-Learning in Healthcare discussion!
There has been such an awesome response from the community that Doug Mattson and I have taken a first leap into some of the eLearning Healthcare questions and topics posed.

THIS MONTH’S TOPIC: Healthcare Pictures Worth a 1000 words…

Once you have used and adapted the Microsoft Clip Art images, where do you go and find more images?

Here is a short list to strart off the discussion:

[Note to Self]…ALWAYS check copyright, and or request permission.

We would love to hear from you – Please reply & share your favorite sources of images that work well in healthcare-related elearning.  If you have any ideas for future monthly discussion topics please send a private message to us (Doug Mattson & Nita Venter) .

Take Care -

52 Replies
Scott Kaye

Sam Sternman said:

Hmm. I think there are other publishing options, but as long as you're designating the files to be output to SCORM, you should be ok. 

The advantage to SCORM-based content in HealthStream is that you "ditch" the HealthStream built-in navigation control bar (the dark gray bar that appears at the bottom of non-SCORM courses) and your users will be able to use the Articulate navigation controls without the risk of closing the course prematurely. So, if you have SCORM publishing options in HealthStream, this is definitely the way to go.

The end result of the SCORM publishing process should be a .zip file that contains all of your course data (in SCORM format). You'll use this .zip file to add the course to HealthStream.  Mind you, you have to have "rights" to do all of this in HealthStream and your organization has to have purchased the SCORM import tool "feature" (it's an optional fee-based feature).   If you don't see the information on Step 2, below, then you may want to talk with your HealthStream administrator (or Sales rep).

In HealthStream, you'll complete these high-level steps to upload a SCORM file:

1) Create a new course and enter the course details, just as you would for any course.

2) On the next screen, select the "Add an Authored SCORM Activity".

3) On the next screen, fill in the course name and completion details.

4) On the next screen, you'll use the "import" link to load your .zip file to HealthStream.

5) Lastly, on the SCORM details screen, you'll want to make sure to visit the link for "Launch Behavior" and update the correct display options for your course. (I set specific dimensions, but if you're using Articulate, you might as well select "full screen")

6) Save these options and then preview to see if the course is working properly.

...if you don't have SCORM options in HealthStream, then you probably would just publish the Articulate file to an HTML output and link the HTML page to the course folder in the HealthStream Authoring Center.  You'll have to "number" the HTML file name so that HealthStream will know to open it.   

All that said, if you don't understand what I've written or you're new to all of this, you may want to check in with HealthStream tech support and access the tutorials on SCORM import...there also may be some online training opportunities for you, through HealthStream, that will get you up to speed.  I'm one of a handful designated super-user resources for HealthStream in my organization, so if you have anyone who is HealthStream Learning Center certified at your clinic/hospital/system, they should be able to read what I've written and help, too.

If you get super stuck, let me know and I'll contact my tech resource at HealthStream and ask him (or a member of his team) to contact you.

Cheers,
Sam

Sam, I have been using Healthstream and storyline for awhile. Would you have any idea (through your contact or by experience) if there is any update to the scorm interaction data problem? I know storyline sends the quiz interaction data to the healthstream LMS, but there doesn't seem to be any way to extract that data so I can see individual (or even group) performance on a quiz authored in storyline.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.