11 Replies
Stefan K

Hi,

To make icons appear after a layer has been visited:

- Add a new true/false variable for each layer (e.g. "cat")
- Add a trigger to each layer that changes its variable to true "when timeline starts"
- Change the initial state of your icon to "Hidden"
- Add a trigger on the layer your icon is located that changes the icon's state to "normal" when the variable changes to true.

I attached a sample.

Alternatively, you could also dircetly change the icon's state with a trigger on the layer. That would lead to less triggers and no variables. But personally, I like working with variable, because often you'll find yourself adding elements and triggering other things as a project develops.

Sanchit Bhasin

I need more practice with variables. Any links where I can learn more about it. 

Also, in the attached file - I want icons to appear when layer of preceding icon appears. 

Reference Example: 

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/331c044a-236a-4c27-93aa-1fc1b27781c9/review

Regards

Malvika

Stefan K

In Storyline there are two kinds of variables:

• Built-In variables: Those are created automatically and help doing various things (tracking time, tracking completion, and so on)
  • Project variables: Those are created manually. 

You can take a look at both in the variables window, by clicking on "Project" or "Built-In" at the top of the window.

I only added 4 true/false variables (birds, cats, dogs, fish).

It is worth taking a look at the documentation Articulate offers.
If you understand how states, triggers, layers and variables work, you can do almost everything with Storyline.

Sarah Hodge

Hey Sanchit! Variables can definitely feel a bit challenging. I'm still learning myself. In addition to the article Stefan shared, I wanted to share some tutorial resources since it sounds like you're looking at videos to see how they work. If you have an Articulate 360 subscription, you can access Articulate 360 Training. There are two Storyline 360 webinars coming up on the topic, in case you're interested.

If you don't have an Articulate 360 subscription, you can also look at our YouTube channel. That link should take you to the videos we have on variables. Hope that helps!