My own navigation in Storyline 360

Aug 20, 2020

Hi i'am Georg

I want to build my own navigation in Storyline and need help with the topic, how can I show and hide the menu of the player with an icon (trigger)?

Thank you for your help in advance

best regards

Georg

5 Replies
Ned Whiteley

Hi Georg,

I don't believe that there is any way to turn the menu on and off using a trigger. However, you can always create your own interactive menu on a lightbox slide that you can call up from any other slide using a simple button and trigger combination.

The attached example is one I posted a while ago in response to a question about multi-language courses, where each language option has its own menu that is called up from a button in the top right corner of the slide. I have only added a single option in each menu that returns you to the main menu on the first slide, but hopefully it will give you some ideas of how you could set up a similar menu system. Note that the Menu option in the Player is disabled.

If you specifically want to use the built-in menu, you can initially set the sidebar to be hidden and then use the Menu button (three parallel lines) in the top left corner of the Player to turn the menu on and off.

I hope this helps, but if you have any queries, just get back to me here.

Judy Nollet

Hi, Georg,

Do you want the user to be able to turn the Menu on and off? Or do you want to hide the menu from the user on certain slides?

To allow the user to control the menu, you could place the menu above the slide. That means it's always available. The user simply clicks to open the menu, and then clicks their selection in the menu. That keeps the menu handy, but out of the way. The image below shows where to adjust this setting using the Classic player. (What Ned describes with the 3-lines menu button is the Modern player.)

For you to control whether the menu appears or not, adjust the Player features in the Slide Properties. That lets you turn the Menu and/or other built-in player-level features on or off for any given slide. (For example, you might want to turn the Menu off during a quiz.) 

I hope this info helps, either with your current project or in the future. 

Sarah Hodge

Hi Georg! I just wanted to share some of these awesome free downloads other community members have shared. 

These examples used the Master Slide to make the menu available/hidden across the course. Hope that helps give you some ideas! 🙂

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.