Saving Progress

Apr 19, 2017

Hi all,

I read over this feed https://community.articulate.com/articles/changing-the-player-s-resume-behavior but it does not answer the problem I am having.

So I have a course that is very non-linear. It is a new employee orientation. During the course you are visiting different areas of the agency, for example going into the Payroll office to learn about completing timesheets then going into the Safety Office to learn about safety. The path to complete the course is completely up to the learner. The learner also has the ability to take notes and print them off at the end of the course.

There is one slide that can be lightboxed that displays the current course completion status. There is a second slide that can be lightboxed to try to save the progress, which it does...sort of.

If the learner goes through a section of the course that is showing as scene 10 if will remember the information if the learner exits and comes back. However if the learner does scene 10, then scene 5, exits and comes back, it starts them at scene 5 and does not call up what happened in scene 10. I tried making the lightboxed save slide scene 11, but that hasn't helped. The notes from the learner disappear and the course remembers the last slide but if it is from an earlier scene then all the work done in later scenes are lost.

Any ideas for a fix?

5 Replies
Adam Hoe

Hey Scott,

It sounds like your settings are correct based on the link you provided.

A couple quick thoughts here:

• If the learner 'completes' the course at any point I believe it will reset any previously saved data. Since this is a non-linear course I am not sure when that is triggered. It may not apply here, but keep it in mind when testing your course.
  • Something to double-check. Are all of the slide properties set to When revisiting: Resume saved state?
  • Also, it sounds like you have a few text entries. Do the values of those text entries all assign to different variables appropriately? ( Ex: if you go to scene 10, then scene, 5 then return to 10 are they still assigned? Or only when you exit the course entirely?)

You may have thought these already but hopefully it is helpful somehow. If you are still having issues, let us know. I'm sure someone would be happy to test your file also.

Scott Burnett

Good afternoon. So I was hoping, oh so hoping, that changing all of the slides to Resumed Saved State would do the trick. It did not.

On your thoughts, what constitutes completing the course? I did find this so I am going to give it a try: https://articulate.com/support/article/how-to-submit-course-completion-to-an-lms-on-a-specific-slide-sl2

The text entries do go to the correct location. I will attach a copy of the file for someone to look at and maybe give me a tip on what the heck I am doing wrong. Sorry, getting frustrated.

I am using Moodle 3.2 to host the SCORM package, it is displayed on IE only. We are restricted on the browser we can use.

To test it you need to publish for LMS, zip the file, then copy and past the print.html, process.js, style.css, and jquery folder into the zipped folder.

Adam Hoe

Hi Scott,

Tested in Scorm Cloud with IE11.

1. Visited Scene 10. Entered data. Navigated to a different scene. Returned to Scene 10. Previously entered data was still showing in Text Boxes.
  2. Also, closed the course out and returned. Data was still showing in Scene 10.

I believe this is the result you were hoping for?

Also, attached an image showing the Publish Settings that could wipe previously stored data. After 67 slides are viewed of the 72, I believe previously stored data will be cleared. I did not view 67+ slides. Not sure if it is wiping because you had when testing?

I hope this is helpful.

Scott Burnett

Hi Adam,

I was using the scene numbers as an example. Last week I went in and did a test. I went through in this order; 10, 1, 7, 6, 2, 3, 8, 4. I also looked at slides 9.4 and 12.1 as a lightboxed slides. Today when I went back it, it started me off at slide 3.11. Not where I ended it.

So if it is set to track completion at 72 slides, how would it track completion in the LMS? TO clarify, not all learners have to view all the of slides. For example, in the payroll portion the learners are asked to identify if they are exempt or non-exempt. Exempt employees go down one path while the non-exempts down another path. So no one has to view all 72.

Hopefully that makes sense, it does in my head at least.

Adam Hoe

Hi Scott,

For the first comment:

When I tested the course on SCORM Cloud, it always asked me if I wanted to 'resume were i left off' when I exited and relaunched the course. If I answered yes, it brought me to the exact page I left off on. That is odd for the course to start the learner at a seemingly arbitrary location. Unless it was a start page or a trigger automatically advanced the learner to that page.

To address your second comment:

The settings in the .story file were set to 67  of 72 slides viewed in order for the learner to achieve completion. The LMS will consider the learners progress as "Complete" as soon as the learner views 67 different slides.

Are all of the learners required to receive "completion" status in the LMS? If yes, we have a few additional things to consider.

Since not all learners are required to view 100% of the material, it would make sense to give them a completion status with fewer than 72 slides viewed. If you want to ensure some of the learners viewed only a small specific portion of the course, while others to view all 72 slides, we would need a way to categorize each type of learner.

There are a couple ways to do this: (I am sure others in the community have ideas here as well)

1. Break the course up into smaller courses. The learners would only complete the courses that applied to their job role.

2. It would be more complicated, but we might be able to have the learner select their role upon launching the course and then only give them a completion once they complete the required sections.

Personally, I usually aim for simplicity, so would go with the first option. The course would be visually similar in all instances. However, it would be a very assured way to navigate learners to the appropriate places and easy to track which sections they have completed.

I hope this is somewhat helpful.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.