Storyline 360 - Tabulating points from Questionanaire Responses

Apr 23, 2019

Hey Everyone -

Over the last few days I have been trying to replicate a "Conflict Management" survey in SL 360 (see attached pic.)

In trying to reconstruct this, I have been building it using a pick many option. I've done a bit of research here in the forums , and have read through the threads about the "magazine surveys" and have used this thread as a foundation for trying to build this.

As I have tried to put this together, I seem to keep running into walls, specifically because I am trying to figure out how to use variables to 1.) Tabulate points from each of the 15 responses (no success thus far but I know this is possible,) and 2.) To have certain point totals grouped. The idea is that certain questions are aligned to a "style" and whatever style you have the most points in would tell you your preferred style.

I don't think I am explaining my situation clearly, but in the short term, if someone is willing to take a glimpse of the survey in the JPEG below, do you think I can even replicate this? The Likert would be be a great option if there was room for 15 questions.

Thanks ahead of time!

2 Replies
Andrea Mandal

Ok so here's what I'd do.

I would skip quiz questions/surveys completely because I'm a nerd like that; if anyone wants to change my mind about how they will make the work easier I'm willing to learn.

I would have each question listed and next to it, a numeric text input box (insert > input > numeric entry field)

Each question adds that number of points to one certain bin. I'd create a variable for each bin (varCollabo, varCompete, varAvoid, varAccom, varCompro for example.) Set them as numeric with default value 0.

When you add a numeric text entry, you get a trigger "Set NumericEntryN equal to the typed value - When the control loses focus". Next, under the same item, ADD a trigger "Add NumericEntryN to varCollabo - When the control loses focus"

This puts their entry in as a variable NumericEntryN and then assigns it to varCollabo (or whatever variable that entry box is supposed to add to).

You can do this for each question on your test. When they enter the number and then click off to the next question (or the Next button to see the results) the value they entered is added to the variable for the bin for that question.

On the next slide you'd just have a slide that said:

Collaborating score: %varCollabo%
Competing score: %varCompete%

and so on and so forth, with all of the bins listed, and then the descriptions afterwards.

If you wanted to add some error checking, you can do this by adding the condition on the "add to varCollabo" trigger that only adds it if it's between 1 and 4, and then adding a second trigger to show a Javascript alert if it's out of those boundaries. You know your users and how this course will be used - it may not be necessary. If a learner decides to mess around and put 37 or 3.14159 when they've been instructed to use 1/2/3/4, and the results are only going to benefit them and never be reported to anyone, then the only person not getting the benefit is them (and technically they could also be flippant about it by putting 1 for everything and not tripping the error check).

Peter Mlot

Thanks Andrea.
I hesitated in creating this survey for reasons similar to what you listed, but in the end went and created it.
After a ton of trial and error, about a million variables and triggers, I was able to get the 15 question survey to work and calculate the results. I still have a little testing to do, but overall it seems to work in the way I intended it to, using a process similar to what you have suggested.
Thanks,
Peter

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.