Forum Discussion

StefaniePiel168
Community Member
6 years ago

eLearning Education in Canada

Hi everybody,

I have been working in eLearning for about ten years now, but I came to it by way of tech support and slowly making it into more and more training focused roles to the point of managing (or being) the training department, managing the LMS, creating courses and instructional design artifacts, etc. Jack of all trades like.

Now I'd like to look at post-secondary education to a) fill the gaps you naturally have taking such a path and b) have a paper that says officially that I know what I'm doing because I think I've come as far as I can on the back of my work alone.

eLearning education is pretty confusing though. What are the different degrees and certificates and papers? Which are most valued in the industry? Is it better to get an Industrial Design degree / certificate / paper of some kind or is it better to be a bit more general and choose a program that offers a degree / certificate / paper in eLearning? Or more general still, in learning?

What are the best programs in Canada? I read a long post about this question but it was mostly about programs and schools in the US but I am sure Canada has its own offerings that are on par in terms of quality than what's offered in the States. Does anyone have any feedback or suggestions for programs or courses up here?

I'm currently looking at these:

Does anyone have any feedback about any of these programs or does anyone have suggestions for others?

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to your thoughts and ideas! :)

SalWiedenbeck
    Community Member

If your background is in tech, I would look for something that focuses on the science of learning - instructional design, adult education, or similar programs. That way you'd have a balance of the tech background and learning credentials.

ChalTutan
    Community Member

As far as I know the Royal Roads program is greatly appreciated among students. That is really indicative to take it. It is one of the few ones to administer exams via https://proctoredu.com/.

PrunellaDyess
    Community Member

Hey Stefanie!
    That is what I can tell you based on my experience.
    In terms of which degree or certificate is most valued in the industry, it really depends on the specific job and company you're aiming for. Some employers may place more emphasis on a specific degree or certification, while others may value experience and skills more. However, generally speaking, a degree or certificate in instructional design or eLearning would be more relevant than industrial design.

As for the best programs in Canada, I can't speak to the quality of those specific programs, but I would suggest looking into the reputation of the institution, the curriculum and courses offered, and any industry partnerships or connections they may have. It could also be helpful to reach out to alumni or current students to get their perspective (I did that when applying to college and it really helped:) )
    Good luck with your decision!

AaronMings
    Community Member

the Royal Roads program is a good one. I know a few people who took it and I heard a lot of positive things