Forum Discussion

BrigetteYoung
Community Member
4 months ago

Help with Triggers/Variables on layers

Hi all, I have a project where the base layer has boxes to click that show a layer, and each layer has a text entry box and a trigger to activate a "continue" button once text is entered. Is there any way to keep the button active if they revisit the layer but don't click in the text entry box again?

• You could add a trigger to change the state of the "Continue" button to normal when the timeline starts on the slide under the condition that the Text Entry box is not equal to blank.

• Hi Brigette,

I believe this is one way to solve your issue.

1. Create a True/False variable to indicate whether or not the layer has been visited. For example, you could create a variable with the name of your layer, such as "Layer 2A" and leave it set to the default value of "False."
    2. Create a trigger to Adjust the Variable "Layer 2A" to "True" when someone clicks the Continue button, indicating that the layer has now been visited.
    3. It sounds like you have your Continue button set to "Disabled" or something similar until someone mouses away from the text box. If so, add one more trigger to the layer that says, Set state of Continue to Normal, When the Timeline starts on this layer, If the "Layer 2A" variable = value True.

I think that this way when someone comes back to your layer for the second, or more, time, the last trigger will see that the variable "Layer 2A" is true and that the slide has already been visited, and thus it will change the state of the "Continue" button to "Normal" so that it functions normally.

Kendal Rasnake

4imprint.com

www.memorablelearning.com

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

You could also just set the LAYERS properties to "Resume saved state."

This will keep the continue button clickable everytime you revisit that layer. 

Simples! :)

BrigetteYoung
      Community Member

Unfortunately, I had already tried that, and it didn't seem to work. Thank you for replying!

AndrewHanley
        Community Member

Ah dang it :)

I'm all for trying the simple ones first!

Ron and Kendall have some good solutions there which should work.

Let us know how you get on