Forum Discussion

JamesWooten
Community Member
7 months ago

Loop video until end of slide

I have a video with objects on top of it. I would like to loop the video until the end of the slide.

I created a trigger to play media when media completes but this does not work.

Need answer tonight - thanks

JamesWooten
    Community Member

Found out this is a bug in the newest version. Version 3.84.31722.0 does not have this problem as trigger play video when video completes works.

• Create a new Slide Master. Put your video on the Master slide and then again on two layers.

Create triggers on the base layer, layer 1, and layer 2 to:

• Show layer 1 when the video on the base layer completes.
    • Show Layer 2 when the video on Layer 1 completes.
    • Show Layer 1 when the video on Layer 2 completes.

See attached.

JamesWooten
    Community Member

Thank you - I really appreciate your help. I ended up doing that but it was a BIG pain because I had different videos for every slide. So the whole project took me a lot longer than I anticipated. It was just one of those days where everything snowballed and I saw 4 am roll around. I am trying to understand why the trigger play media when media completes doesn't work. Curious

• Thank you for this post! I thought I was going crazy because I had created a framework/template that uses looping video that is now broken. I knew that it worked once upon a time and couldn't figure out what happened. Hopefully this bug gets patched and fixed quickly, as now I can't use this template. 

StevenBenassi
      Staff

Hi Johnathan!

So sorry to hear you've been affected by this issue as well!

As Robin shared, our development team has this behavior logged as a software bug in Storyline 360 version 3.85.31840.0. Not to worry! I've linked this discussion to the bug report and will provide updates as soon as a fix is in place. In the meantime, as a workaround, we suggest:

Or

1. Add 2 layers and place a copy of the video on each.
      2. On the base layer, add a trigger to show Layer1 when timeline starts on this slide.
      3. On Layer1, add a trigger to show Layer2 when media completes.
      4. On Layer2, add a trigger to show Layer1 when media completes.

Thank you for your patience. I'm sorry if this has been slowing you down!

• Hi,

What I also experience is, that the option to untick "Hide other slide layers" does not work correctly either. Meaning that if I set up my layers as described above by Steven, as soon as it jumps to layer 2, it makes everything that is on other layers invisible.

I hope this problem is solved quickly as the workaround (copying videos to multiple layers) makes the slides unnecessary large.

The bug seems to happen only with longer videos. Example attached!

• I have the same problem with loops in sl, this didn't happen before. Having 2 copies of the same video is not practical on large projects.

Hopefully will be solved soon.

JamesWooten
    Community Member

I appreciate your attention to fixing this bug because this simple trigger is really helpful. Thank you!