Forum Discussion

AshleyClick-3aa
Community Member
3 months ago

Next button, variables, moving to next slide

Greetings:

I just found out that you can set the prev/next buttons in player and that way the user cannot move forward until the end of the timeline in the slide. From the same post where I learned the bit about adjusting the player settings, I read some tips on putting in variables so that the learner had to complete all actions before proceeding to next slide. I tried it all, but my slide won't progress to the next one. Can anyone help me out here? I've attached the SL file and you'll see all of the disabled triggers that I tried to make things work. The odd thing is that the next button appears normal once you close out the layers and return to base layer. Do I need to add different states or something?

Thanks so much for your time and expertise!

Best,

Ashley

AaronPross
    Community Member

Hi Ashley,

While you can use variables for an interaction type like this, I like to use the button states. 

• In both the Director button and Managers button, I duplicated the Visited state and named it “completed”. In my experience using the Visited state can get a little wonky and I find the button flipping back to normal.  Using a custom button state insures that button states won’t change.

• On the Director and Managers layers, I added a trigger to the closebutton that sets the state of the Director button and Managers button to completed when clicked. Please notice I have that set to happen before the layer closes.  If the trigger to change the state appears after the close layer trigger, the button state will not change.
    • On your base layer, I set a trigger to change the state of the Next button to active once the Director and Managers buttons are set to a state of “completed”
    • Also on the base layer, I set the state of the Next button to disabled to make it clearer to the learner that they have to complete both stakeholders content.

I attached a working file.  Please let me know if you have any questions or need me to walk you through anything else.  

PS - If you DO want a working version using variables, I'm happy to do so.  Just let me know.

Thanks!
    AP

AaronPross
    Community Member

HI Ashley,

I'd be glad to help you out. If I understand correctly, you want the learner to view and complete all of the content on the Directory layer and the Managers layer in order for the learner to advance.  Is that correct?

AP

• Hey everyone! 

Thanks for all of this great information Aaron, Ange CM.. I'm going to give it a lookover right now - and yes, @Judy Nollet, your tips are ALWAYS appreciated! :-)

I'll circle back if I have any more questions! Thanks again.

- Ashley

JudyNollet
      Super Hero
      I'll circle back if I have any more questions! Thanks again.

FYI: When you have a new question, it's best to start a new discussion. That's more apt to get noticed than one that already has multiple replies. 

Also, for questions about how to do something in Storyline, I recommend posting in the Storyline discussion area: https://community.articulate.com/forums/articulate-storyline