Accessibility for Scenario in Rise360 course

Jul 12, 2023

Hello, I am adding a scenario to a rise course that will eventually be saved as a SCORM and uploaded as a graded assignment in my LMS (Canvas). I wanted to know the accessibility for these scenarios as there is no option to add audio? 

Are screen readers for hearing or seeing impaired learners able to read the dialogue/text in each scene? What can I do to make this accessible for all learners?

Thank you.

6 Replies
Angelo Cruz

Hi Madison!

I'm afraid that the Scenario blocks in Rise are currently inaccessible. We have submitted a report to our product team regarding screen readers skipping scenario block dialogues.

I'll add this forum post to the bug report so that you'll get notified when a fix has been released. This article gives you a status on which blocks are accessible. We'll keep it updated as we continue to broaden accessibility support.

Angela Lytle

The linked article on accessibility is very helpful.  A clarification question - it says that the interactive scenarios are not accessible (see below).  Can I clarify whether the text in the scenarios can be read by a screen reader?  The description below makes it sound as though it is mostly an issue related to being unable to describe the images in the scenario. Can you please confirm whether someone using a screen reader can at least navigate the text components in the scenario tool?

Interactive: Scenario

• Unable to add alt text
  • If using: Provide instructions and a background image description above this block via a text block.
Jose Tansengco

Hello Angela, 

Happy to chime in!

Yes, I can confirm that screen readers will be able to read the text found in the scenario block if learners use the tab key to cycle through the elements in the block. I tested this using NVDA and I was able to navigate through the block using a combination of the tab key and the space bar to make selections.

Jose Tansengco

Hi Allison,

Some authors place text or audio blocks before a scenario block to provide learners with instructions on how to navigate the scenario block right before they are taken to the actual block.

Visit this article for more tips on how to design accessible Rise 360 courses:

Hope this helps!

Allison Dishman

Hi Jose, Thank you for a quick response! I was hoping for specifics for guiding someone using a Screenreader like you mentioned above - I don't have access to a screenreader to test but would like to provide specific guidance. 

"I tested this using NVDA and I was able to navigate through the block using a combination of the tab key and the space bar to make selections."

How would you provide instructions for this?