Adding a text box for user input in Rise360

Jan 17, 2023

Hi Team, 

I am experiencing difficulty in Articulate Rise 360, so I need your assistance and guidance throughout the development process.  

• How can I add a text box for user input in Rise360? (any readily available templates from content library you can suggest).  I tried the knowledge check option, but I don't want to see a result screen, therefore it's not a good fit.
  • I also attempted to incorporate a quiz made in Storyline/Quizmaker 360 by going to Interactive > "Add a Storyline 360 interaction from Review 360," but I'm unsure of where the quiz's results and information are being saved in the LMS.
  • The Multimedia > Embed > Pasted URL / iFrame Code feature in MS-Forms is really useful, however the embedded item still looks like MS-Forms.

In the meantime, the two paths I have taken so far, namely:  

1. Adding a web form as an embedded object and using that to get the learner's input is a good way to achieve this. However, the challenge is if you do not want the form to look like MS Forms or a Google form, you would need to create and code the custom form separately.
  2. Using a Storyline block will work to get the input, however, the input is not sent to the LMS. Only the Storyline block completion is reported to the LMS. A possible workaround would be to send the data manually from within the Storyline course using JavaScript.

Additionally, I wanted my learners to download a PDF file of the entire Rise 360 course. We've designated a digital journal in RISE 360 with several text inputs for the learners to fill out during the live classroom discussion. Our goal was to have the participant fill out text boxes (hard coded with JavaScript, not visible in Rise 360) with their responses and then have the page saved as a PDF.

Please DO NOT suggest the below mentioned workaround solution.

You can give the learners an option to download the PDF version of the course by doing the following:

1. Once you have finished your Rise 360 course, Select Export.

2. Export the entire course as PDF.

3. Edit your course again and add a Multimedia > Attachment block.

4. Edit the Attachment block and upload the PDF file you exported in step 2.  

Any advice or feedback you can offer is much welcomed.

62 Replies
John Cooper

Hi Rachelle

Until Articulate introduces this feature, the best solution we could find is as per my previous posts. Create multiple Storyline Blocks to capture the text entry data and store the data in local browser storage (very simple in JavaScript). Then at the end of the course, retrieve the text from local storage, insert the text into a pre-formatted pdf form which also can contain the course notes and then offer the pdf for download, print or email - all in an execute JavaScript trigger.

That's what we do - and it works fine - except we are using local browser storage. So we are OK if the user leaves and returns providing they don't clear the browser cache, use a different browser or different device.

But you mention that you would like the information sent to the LMS. We haven't tried that yet - but, since the data is available in local storage, it should be simple enough to send it via an xAPI call from the JavaScript assuming you are using an LMS with xAPI and an LRS?? Then you would have everything you need:

A downloadable pdf for the learner

Their text input stored in the LMS/LRS

If enough people are interested we might put on a short virtual workshop to go through step by step??

All the best, John

Rachelle Tulloch

Hi John

Thanks for responding, really appreciate it.  I actually have read through your posts about this and looked at the exemplar and I think that it looks fab.  I would appreciate a workshop, as I am not a coder so anything that says things like "xAPI call from the JavaScript" freaks me out. How quickly can we get it scheduled? I am in!!! Am working on a course at the moment, so this would be Just In Time learning for me.  :)

Also, I am an external contractor so all the Rise and Storyline work I do have to go to the client and live in their LMS.  My clients are even less IT savvy than I am, so if I start asking them to install certain things in their systems, that will potentially put them off.  Even worse, the IT team might get involved and then it's all downhill from there. 

My ideal would be to create a Rise course (or a Rise course with a Storyline block, that's fine) that allows the learner to take notes or jot down reflections like a learning journal, and give it to client, have them upload to an LMS and that is it. I should also say that the learning journal does NOT need to go into the LMS, as this is just for the learner to refer to and save), so that is not an issue.

Hope this helps and thank you!

Best regards
Rachelle

John Cooper

OK - for Rachelle, Stefan, Angela, Erik and Digital Learning, and anyone else who is interested in registering. I will schedule a virtual 'live' session - FREE of charge. (although there is a space to donate the cost of a coffee on my website if you find the workshop useful!).

I'm looking at two weeks away - How about Tuesday 26th March??? - If enough people are interested I will run the session twice at 08:00 UK time (to catch those East of the Greenwich line and 15:30 UK time for those out West). (Numbers will be limited in case I get inundated).

I asked Chat GPT to create a short course which is now converted to RISE and is called "Pathways to Environmental Conservation". The course has four separate points at which the learner is asked to 'reflect' on a key issue and write  their own notes like this:

In the workshop we will:

STEP 1 - convert the entire course content to a pdf course workbook and convert this workbook to a 'pdf form' with defined spaces where the learner's own notes will fit.

STEP 2 - we will replace the four 'Reflection' blocks in RISE (like the one above) with identical Storyline blocks that allow the learner to type their response into a text entry field. We will add JavaScript code to take the text entered and store it in local browser memory.

STEP 3 - we will then add a Storyline block at the end of the course and add JavaScript that will retrieve the user text notes from local memory, open the course notes pdf form, fill in the learner's own notes section, and then offer the completed pdf for download.

STEP 4 - we will demonstrate publishing the course to (a) an HTML5 page on a website and (b) as a SCORM zip file loaded to an LMS (probably I will demonstrate on Moodle). (This will deal with how to load the blank pdf form and how to call the JavaSCript libraries needed WITHOUT having to modify any HTML code).

That's it - plus Q&A and a brief discussion of how you would take the learner's input and send it via an xAPI call (but I won't be demonstrating that) and maybe how you could email the pdf to the course leader...

How does that sound???

You won't need JavaScript knowledge - the code will be provided and is easy to follow - you will just have to know how to create an 'Execute JavaScript' trigger.

If this is OK, I will post details of how to register for the FREE workshop on this thread...

Phil Foss

The use of Storyline makes it a bit complicated, and not ideal on mobile. But its a cool solution. I use a modal popup that the user can access throughout the course in a persisting global menu. It also uses localstorage. The user can simply download/print the single text input, the text is 'saved' for the user but it doesn't get sent to the LMS.

Rise user notes

John Cooper

The FREE 'live' workshop "Creating downloadable notes from RISE using Storyline, Javascript and local browser storage" requested  above is now scheduled - there are two sessions on the 26th March and you can reserve a place by visiting my website at:

Course Catalogue (profilelearning.com)

Just click on the link to the session you would like to register - it's a LearnDach site and will ask you for an email address which it will verify and the link to the event will be available on-line and be sent by email nearer the event.

Places will be limited as it's an interactive session with plenty of opportunity to discuss methods and ask questions.

Cheryl Tyler

Have you looked at Mike Amelang's solution using notes and javascript.  I've just got it working but not sure how it will go when there are Rise updates.  Time will tell.  https://360.articulate.com/review/content/33873893-2ea1-46d9-9415-3efca951d74c/review 

You can either print a pdf or email when you put into the notes section at the end of the course. See example here.  https://amelangrise.s3.amazonaws.com/learningjournal/index.html#/ 

Rachelle Tulloch

Hi Cheryl - yes, I have Mike's solution as well, but I am concerned about asking my client/s to do the extra work with Notepad.  Given most of my clients are small to medium enterprises with limited IT resources and know-how, I feel asking them to download Notepad and further customise it for it to work with their LMS (and they will have different platforms) after I send them the Rise course will be a bit too much.  

But if I can't make it work with John's solution, then I will look further into Mike's solution.  And of course, keep hoping that this feature becomes native to Rise 360 one day - I think it really is needed given the level of interaction that is now expected with online learning. 

And it's a whole different conversation with where AI is going to eventually fit in with learning development...

John Cooper

Hi Mitch - looks very promising - I will definitely check it out. Thanks for posting. (Bit expensive though at $47 per month!).

Just a small correction though, you don't have to make any changes to the code after publishing with the solution I use. The JavaScript library used is loaded dynamically at run time. You just need to be able to read the pdf course notes template from somewhere to create your course handout with the learner notes in it. But you could put that anywhere you like.

You can also change the template (and hence the content of the handout) without making changes to the published course code. You only have to re-publish if you add more fields for notes to the handout.

Actually, I've just realised that's a fairly simple enhancement to allow extra fields in case of expansion, or even read the number of fields in the document at run time! Maybe I will try that.

Best regards

John