Adding a text box for user input in Rise360

Jan 17, 2023

Hi Team, 

I am experiencing difficulty in Articulate Rise 360, so I need your assistance and guidance throughout the development process.  

• How can I add a text box for user input in Rise360? (any readily available templates from content library you can suggest).  I tried the knowledge check option, but I don't want to see a result screen, therefore it's not a good fit.
  • I also attempted to incorporate a quiz made in Storyline/Quizmaker 360 by going to Interactive > "Add a Storyline 360 interaction from Review 360," but I'm unsure of where the quiz's results and information are being saved in the LMS.
  • The Multimedia > Embed > Pasted URL / iFrame Code feature in MS-Forms is really useful, however the embedded item still looks like MS-Forms.

In the meantime, the two paths I have taken so far, namely:  

1. Adding a web form as an embedded object and using that to get the learner's input is a good way to achieve this. However, the challenge is if you do not want the form to look like MS Forms or a Google form, you would need to create and code the custom form separately.
  2. Using a Storyline block will work to get the input, however, the input is not sent to the LMS. Only the Storyline block completion is reported to the LMS. A possible workaround would be to send the data manually from within the Storyline course using JavaScript.

Additionally, I wanted my learners to download a PDF file of the entire Rise 360 course. We've designated a digital journal in RISE 360 with several text inputs for the learners to fill out during the live classroom discussion. Our goal was to have the participant fill out text boxes (hard coded with JavaScript, not visible in Rise 360) with their responses and then have the page saved as a PDF.

Please DO NOT suggest the below mentioned workaround solution.

You can give the learners an option to download the PDF version of the course by doing the following:

1. Once you have finished your Rise 360 course, Select Export.

2. Export the entire course as PDF.

3. Edit your course again and add a Multimedia > Attachment block.

4. Edit the Attachment block and upload the PDF file you exported in step 2.  

Any advice or feedback you can offer is much welcomed.

62 Replies
John Cooper

I know there are several threads here looking at this issue - and there are certainly some great, but different approaches.

Just to be clear - the objective of my project was to allow learners to respond to prompts in the course and allow them to make notes which are then included at the appropriate point in a pdf course handout which can be downloaded at the end of the course. Effectively to 'fill in' a pre-formatted workbook.

What my project doesn't do is offer the user a facility to click a button at any time, make their notes and then download those notes at the end of the course. Phil Foss's approach is much closer to that - as is the Mighty plug-in mentioned above by Mitch. This is a slightly different application to mine - equally valuable (more valuable if that's what you are looking for!) - but different.

Tim St. Clair

My approach was always to use Storyline to do the text entry and embed that into Rise as an interaction, and then the problem was always storage and retrieval. Some people tried storing to local storage (browser), others to the comments field in SCORM, others have tried to send values to a LRS but then retrieval becomes tricky. My approach was to write an external service to load/store generic data, so that it's not reliant on scorm or specific browsers, and it remains compatible with the editor, with Review, Reach 360, and LMS's. I also needed to be able to generate a PDF with all the answers which could be picked up at the end of the course, so I made a separate storyline with a download button.

This is all demonstrated here, and the source code to a storage service and storyline files are available here.

I like the approach that Mighty have taken but wonder if updates to Rise will break it, and also it might break the terms of service which explicitly prohibits modifying the runtime code. I'd tried a similar idea except using a Storyline embed to inject the code (which self-deletes), an approach of having a notepad icon appear on all pages (example, appears on the top-right), but it wasn't a great experience and ended up abandoning that method. I'd also first approached the problem by using an iframe embed pointing to https://frumbert.s3.ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/courses/textarea.html which used the local storage approach

John Cooper

Hi Tim

Brilliant solution! Love it.

I also use Storyline to do the text entry but prefer to use the pdflib JavaScript library to create the pdf (which is actually a course notes template form which the JavaScript fills out)...

But the problem in RISE is, as you say, the storage and retrieval of the data. I use local browser storage in my current projects which means the learner loses the data if they pause and switch device or browser.

I'm working on a version that will use a small server side node.js app to listen out for data - assign a session id to it and store it in a database. The data can then be retrieved and sent to the client side code when it sends another request to the app. This is effectively creating an external service as you have done. I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again, for sharing your code.

Best regards, John

PS It would be so much easier if Articulate just provided a few server side variables in RISE for developers to use!!

Lena Davies

Hi John, that looks great! Is this solution responsive how would it look on a mobile?
Also Mitch, the plug in looks interesting, does that mean you have to view the course in Chrome or is that just for development?

I would also like to have a text input feature which then allows you to see a model answer e.g. 'What can you do to improve the patient experience in your ward?' Then  free text box to write suggestions. The model answer button will show some suggestions. This means you could reflect on your learning, write examples, and see if it matches with the model answer.
I've used that feature in the 'Adapt' authoring tool (it's one of the component of Adapt) and it would be great if I could do the same in Rise.