Adding a timer into rise to ensure a minimum amount of time is spent on each lesson

Nov 29, 2023

Hi there! 

I'm currently faced with a bit of a challenge with Rise functionality. I am working on a module which requires a MINIMUM amount of time to be spent on each section by the learner, in order for them to pass the module completely. This was a specific request by my client.

An idea I had was to insert a timer storyline block into the beginning of each lesson which starts automatically, and then at the bottom of the lesson have a 'Continue' button which is locked until everything above it is interacted with (ie, when the timer ends).

The issue that I am facing is that when I scroll past the timer block, it auto pauses and will only continue counting down until I have the timer physically on my screen. Does anyone know a way where I can fix this issue and have the timer play even when it's been scrolled past? Cheers

8 Replies
Chino Navarro

Hi Kim and Nick,

While Rise 360 doesn't have a timer, you could use videos to help control how fast a learner completes a course. You could do this by uploading a video into a video block and disabling forward-seeking.

Then, you can insert a locked Continue block and set it to unlock only when the block (Video block) directly above it is complete.

The locked Continue block will require the learner to view the entire video before they can proceed in the course. Forward seeking is disabled to prevent the learner from skipping to the end of the video. 

You may also need to set navigation to restricted. This prevents the learner from skipping a lesson by clicking on the navigation sidebar. This depends on your course's completion requirement and where your videos are in the course.

Thank you, and I hope it helps. 

Annie Heydon

It's starting to feel like everything I need, including a stopwatch, is waiting in the queue of suggestions to be decided upon by The Team. Getting really frustrating. The two requests I've placed in the last 24 hours have been added to this nebulous list... but I have seen others requesting the same functions going back years.