Adding alt-text to logo in Rise Theme

Sep 15, 2023

I uploaded the logo for my client to the Cover Page in Rise. However, I don't see where I can add the alt-text for the logo. Is this not an option?

Thanks,

KK

11 Replies
Elizabeth Kuhlmann

Maybe they did a right click and inspect instead of testing with a screen reader. But if for some reason they are hearing it w/ whatever screen reader they are using, I would just rename the file "[client name] logo" and leave it at that. Tell them their employees know where they work. ;) 

Intopia Learn

To be fair, not every screen reader user is blind - I know two who are low vision and would be wondering what logos they're looking at. So it is not a great choice to have the logos be automatically skipped (and would certainly be pinged in an audit). 

We're working on a collaborative course so it's not as simple as the employees knowing where they work unfortunately, we'd like them to see/hear our logo since we're an external provider. Would really like to see this changed!

Intopia Learn

Absolutely, and that's definitely the best solution available. My concern is more that there are people who will be able to see or tell that an image is there, but not what the image is (it seems from the original post that it is discoverable by screen reader somehow). Not being able to choose whether something is marked decorative or given alt text is always going to be an accessibility issue unfortunately.

Phil Foss

TK, I posted about this in another thread, and realized I had totally neglected alt tags, so I added the alt as well as a matching Title attribute. Title attributes are so helpful for sighted people I wish they were used more often, not even sure how the title attr affects accessibility but I assume it can't hurt. This is my demo showing custom authors section with custom html, instead of a logo.

custom cover page authors

Phil Foss

Cool thx. What I'm doing is exploiting Rise's simple text editor to insert html. I explain the most complex part- using image data uri in this video- https://youtu.be/wjbYhUKuARU
The other part is using flexbox to achieve these (responsive) columns, but if you just need a logo with an alt you can use this method in the cover page description, instead of using the 'add logo' option in rise.