Adding images as answer choices in Knowledge Checks and Quizzes.

Feb 15, 2023

Hello!

I am building a Dress Code Review course in Rise 360 and would like to have the answer choices be images in some of my Quiz questions, and in Knowledge check questions & Sort. Is this possible? If so, how?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Mary Morrison

8 Replies
Karl Muller

Hi Mary,

Unfortunately this is not possible in Rise.

What we do in these cases, is to create an image that shows all of the choices and label them. Then add this image to the question stem.

Students would view the image and answer the question by selecting the answer choice that matches the label in the image.

Daniel Wurm

Students being able to select an image as an answer is pretty stock standard for most course authoring tools. It is also a very important learning technique, as many skills require a worker to select the correct tools etc visually. Many workers have poor written language skills, but can easily identify the correct answer when presented with an image. This should be top of the dev list for Rise.

Lea Agato

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for sharing your insight on having the option to add images as answer choices in Rise 360 knowledge checks and quizzes. We appreciate how this feature can be useful for learners. We're currently tracking requests for this feature, and we'll let you know if we release updates that will help!

Phil Foss

There might be an accessibility issue that prevents development of this feature, people with vision issues etc. But in this example I was able to convert a multiple choice quiz into a clickable grid of 4 images. Non-sighted people still get the text options, and fancy sighted people get the images.

This is why I love Rise so much- you can build your own UI on top of their core functionality. And I'm just using CSS, no programming required.

Daniel Wurm

I create courses for workers who require good visual skills; its a core skill and requirement of the occupation. Therefore, not only are people with visual impairment not able to work in these fields; they would never be asked to do the training for it. 

I watched your video but it doesn't explain how to add this functionality to Rise.

Carol Yenger

Phil -

I found you from Tim St. Clair's response on drag and drop image sorting. I appreciate both of your expertise in this as I am just trying to make something work. In this video you mentioned posting this solution (theme360 site?). I don't know how to code but I can follow directions pretty well and have just enough 'bulldog' in me to work through issues. 😆Tim's response mentioned some 'pretty gnarly code' which scares me a little to start with his solution. 😲

Since you did this with CSS on a multiple choice, do you think it will work with a multiple select question? I can modify my drag and drop into a multiple selection option. 

can you provide links/directions on how you did this? 

Thanks so much!!

Carol Yenger

Phil Foss

Hi Daniel sorry I missed your response, I've got sample css here for adding images to the quiz options.

https://theme-360.com/theme-component/graphical-multiple-choice-quiz-in-rise-360/

and I usually install a Theme Component in a new folder called 'theme' that you add to your exported course, explained in this video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EHipUhQNkU